No bait bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Skeeterswatter

No bait bear hunting

Unread postby Skeeterswatter » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 am

How many have had success bear hunting without hunting over bait? If so, how? Is bait a must have for hunting bear?

Continued learning is the minimum requirement for success in any field. - Brian Tracy
Buck11pt24

Re: No bait bear hunting

Unread postby Buck11pt24 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:25 am

I have never bear hunted without bait but I plan on it out west next spring. The areas I've hunted bear, Ontario and the Upper Peninsula of MI, one would have a hard time killing a bear without bait or dogs. It can be done by sitting over small ponds, finding natural feeding areas, traveling rivers or maybe some spot and stalk if you can find a farmer with crop fields that are getting damaged.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am

Has posted above,

Find the food find the bears, beechnuts are prime here, cornfields, even apiaries will draw bear. It isn’t too hard to get permission when the bears are tearing up a farmers field or a bee keepers hive.

The other option is to try to bring them to you with a predator call. This is more appealing to me as it is more mobile and you can get a bonus coyote or bobcat come in. I came close to sealing the deal last year but to be honest I don’t usually put enough time in.

A member here, Doug Boze, wrote a good book on chasing them with predator calls that is a good read. I included an Amazon link but there are other places to get it as well

Bob

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Black-Bear-Hunting/dp/1510709797
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Skeeterswatter

Unread postby Skeeterswatter » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:56 am

Buck11pt24 wrote:I have never bear hunted without bait but I plan on it out west next spring. The areas I've hunted bear, Ontario and the Upper Peninsula of MI, one would have a hard time killing a bear without bait or dogs. It can be done by sitting over small ponds, finding natural feeding areas, traveling rivers or maybe some spot and stalk if you can find a farmer with crop fields that are getting damaged.

My buddy that hunts bears suggested hunting over a water source. I am looking at aerial maps to locate potential water sources. I hunt in hill terrain 500'-2000' foot. The area doesn't have crop fields that I would be able to hunt. Also trying to find food sources that they enjoy naturally. Came across some bear scat the other weekend scouting around a massive black berry patch on the mountain.
Continued learning is the minimum requirement for success in any field. - Brian Tracy
Skeeterswatter

Unread postby Skeeterswatter » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:59 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Has posted above,

Find the food find the bears, beechnuts are prime here, cornfields, even apiaries will draw bear. It isn’t too hard to get permission when the bears are tearing up a farmers field or a bee keepers hive.

The other option is to try to bring them to you with a predator call. This is more appealing to me as it is more mobile and you can get a bonus coyote or bobcat come in. I came close to sealing the deal last year but to be honest I don’t usually put enough time in.

A member here, Doug Boze, wrote a good book on chasing them with predator calls that is a good read. I included an Amazon link but there are other places to get it as well

Bob

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Black-Bear-Hunting/dp/1510709797

I appreciate the link. I have never heard of bear hunting with a predator call. Definitely something I will be looking into for sure. It makes sense... Found a massive black berry patch a few weeks ago while scouting. I found 3 piles of bear scat in the area. I was not sure if there is similarities to hunting deer. Hoping to get some feedback on how others hunt without a bait pile.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:12 am

Every place you go bear hunting will be different, tactics, terrain, rules & regulations etc. In Wisconsin it is very possible to call in a bear using a predator call but the situation has to be just right, most predator calling that works is done in the spring and WI does not offer spring bear hunts. I know of one guy that called in a bear with a predator call using it on the edge of a corn field. The fantasy of a Jim Shockey Wisconsin type bear hunt is very slim here. If your going to try find a farmer that is having nuisance bear problems in his Ag crops.
Skeeterswatter

Unread postby Skeeterswatter » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:30 am

Mike Foss wrote:Every place you go bear hunting will be different, tactics, terrain, rules & regulations etc. In Wisconsin it is very possible to call in a bear using a predator call but the situation has to be just right, most predator calling that works is done in the spring and WI does not offer spring bear hunts. I know of one guy that called in a bear with a predator call using it on the edge of a corn field. The fantasy of a Jim Shockey Wisconsin type bear hunt is very slim here. If your going to try find a farmer that is having nuisance bear problems in his Ag crops.

I am hunting the Ozark and Ouachita mountains in Arkansas. Typically do not have farmland around the area unfortunately. Unsure if bear tend to use specific terrain or methods of tracking down an area they could be using. Seems most use bait and hunt over bait. We are unable to bait on public land.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:24 am

Skeeterswatter wrote:I am hunting the Ozark and Ouachita mountains in Arkansas. Typically do not have farmland around the area unfortunately. Unsure if bear tend to use specific terrain or methods of tracking down an area they could be using. Seems most use bait and hunt over bait. We are unable to bait on public land.

It is the same here in Massachusetts. The no baiting laws are so inclusive that you can’t use and scents in addition to physical bait.

With no farmland it is going to be natural food sources. You should be able to get an idea on what they are eating by going through their scat for clues. That will tell you what the current food source is.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:22 am

You can’t bait in Pa either. I don’t hunt them specifically during our bow season because it’s during the whitetail rut but would shoot one given the opportunity (I have been close). Most guys I know who do hunt them during bow season say it’s all about the food. Normally corn, beechnut or acorns. Also a few guys have had good success on the edges of swamps and clear cuts. During our bear rifle season most guys, me included, hunt them via bear drives.
Skeeterswatter

Unread postby Skeeterswatter » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:41 am

PaPublicLandHunter wrote:You can’t bait in Pa either. I don’t hunt them specifically during our bow season because it’s during the whitetail rut but would shoot one given the opportunity (I have been close). Most guys I know who do hunt them during bow season say it’s all about the food. Normally corn, beechnut or acorns. Also a few guys have had good success on the edges of swamps and clear cuts. During our bear rifle season most guys, me included, hunt them via bear drives.

I have never hunted bear, nor seen bear in the woods hunting. Just scat. I typically hunt whitetail only Sep - Feb. A food source would make sense. I also have heard find a water source with the area I hunt being mountain terrain. Very few water sources in the mountains unless you can find a spot in a creek or pond. The public land I hunt 120,000+ acres has a lot of clear cuts. Definitely going to be hitting the clear cut habitat edges for deer. Maybe stumble upon a bear.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:54 am

Skeeterswatter wrote:
PaPublicLandHunter wrote:You can’t bait in Pa either. I don’t hunt them specifically during our bow season because it’s during the whitetail rut but would shoot one given the opportunity (I have been close). Most guys I know who do hunt them during bow season say it’s all about the food. Normally corn, beechnut or acorns. Also a few guys have had good success on the edges of swamps and clear cuts. During our bear rifle season most guys, me included, hunt them via bear drives.

I have never hunted bear, nor seen bear in the woods hunting. Just scat. I typically hunt whitetail only Sep - Feb. A food source would make sense. I also have heard find a water source with the area I hunt being mountain terrain. Very few water sources in the mountains unless you can find a spot in a creek or pond. The public land I hunt 120,000+ acres has a lot of clear cuts. Definitely going to be hitting the clear cut habitat edges for deer. Maybe stumble upon a bear.

I could see water working especially if your bear season opens early. I hunt big hills/mountains as well and I forgot to throw in mountain laurel. I have had a lot of bear encounters in and around the laurel.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”