Preferred method of processing

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spekel

Preferred method of processing

Unread postby spekel » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:25 am

Hey guys,

First time bear hunter here. I have actively been running 3 baits, DIY in the UP. I have very good activity thus far so fingers crossed on filling a tag.

My question is what is everyone's preferred method of breaking down their bear? Just want to have a plan should I get lucky enough to harvest one.

On my deer hunts, I typically do the gutless method in the field and pack the meat out, simplest and cleanest. With a bear I thought about doing the same, but am concerned at my skill level for keeping the hide intact in case I wanted to do a rug or a mount. After looking into the astronomical prices for getting a rug done though, not sure I would do that anyway. It seems like a shame to just discard the bear hide, but I don't really know at this point what else you would do with it?

I am worried about if I skin it out myself, keeping it in good enough shape for a tanner/taxidermist. But I also understand the need to quickly break down the animal to avoid spoiling, so I feel I will need to handle it myself ASAP.

Just looking for any advice from others, and what method they prefer to use. Thanks

Buck11pt24

Re: Preferred method of processing

Unread postby Buck11pt24 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:51 am

There are some good youtube videos out there and show how to skin a bear for different types of mounts. I also do gutless on my western hunts as much as possible. You won't want to do that if you want to take your bear to the taxidermist. I've never skinned a bear in the bush but I have skinned many at camp on the ground. Sucks! Bring tarps or a roll of poly to lay down and keep the dirt, moss and everything else off of the hide and meat. Haul out in quarters and a the hide wrapped up. Jet sleds are also nice to bring them out with. If your nervous about skinning it maybe check with the processors in the area to see if they can advise you on someone to skin it for you.
Buck11pt24

Unread postby Buck11pt24 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:57 am

One last thought I had after I replied earlier. Last year we were hunting bear in the UP also and had 4 hunters in camp. I hauled up an old deep freezer and had it fired up using a generator prior to the hunt. We shot 3 bears in 1 day. If it weren't for that freezer we would have had some spoilage going on. First bear shot at 2pm. Plan was to skin right away. By the time we got it to camp by 5 the 2nd bear was on the ground. Dropped first bear gutted into the deep freeze whole. Drug out 2nd bear. 7pm 3rd bear was shot. 2nd bear was out of the woods about 9pm and we barely got it also into the deep freezer. 3rd bear was out by 1am and hung it until the next morning as it was 35 degrees that night. If it weren't for the freezer we would have had issues. The only problem I had was the legs on the first bear were pretty frozen solid by morning but wasn't an issue. We saved 100% of all 3 bears meat and hides. Good luck with your hunt.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 am

I have no interest in a bear mount or hide. Skin gutless method and get out of there is what I do. Keep the skull if it’s a big one
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:37 am

Post on hunting Forums if anyone is interested in the hide for free or contact taxidermists to see if they are interested.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 am

I'm kinda in a similar situation. A rug would be nice but too expensive.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm

You're right, a bear hide is too nice to waste. Do the best you can with the skinning and have the hide tanned. It could be displayed like a coyote or fox fur. Good luck on your hunt.
spekel

Unread postby spekel » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 am

VilasCo wrote:You're right, a bear hide is too nice to waste. Do the best you can with the skinning and have the hide tanned. It could be displayed like a coyote or fox fur. Good luck on your hunt.

So if I just do the best I can with the skinning process, and can't really afford an entire rug with head/paws, you're suggesting I could probably find someone willing to tan just the main part of the hide if I manage to get that skinned in decent shape?
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:11 am

john1984 wrote:I'm kinda in a similar situation. A rug would be nice but too expensive.

Totally agreed! I just had the hide tanned and hang it on the wall. WAY cheaper and still looks cool
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 pm

spekel wrote:
VilasCo wrote:You're right, a bear hide is too nice to waste. Do the best you can with the skinning and have the hide tanned. It could be displayed like a coyote or fox fur. Good luck on your hunt.

So if I just do the best I can with the skinning process, and can't really afford an entire rug with head/paws, you're suggesting I could probably find someone willing to tan just the main part of the hide if I manage to get that skinned in decent shape?

Yes, that is what I would do. Moyle Mink and Tannery does a good job with furs and you could get a bear hide done for a couple hundred bucks.

moyle.net is the website.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”