Whose bear hunting Wisconsin this year?

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Whose bear hunting Wisconsin this year?

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:40 am

What genersl area you hunting, and whats your plan?

Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Re: Whose bear hunting Wisconsin this year?

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:49 am

I wish ten years to draw a tag here now southern bayfeild county
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:13 am

This will be my first time ever bear hunting. Already met with a landowner and scouted the area I want to hunt. I’ll be in zone D.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:13 am

Elite wrote:This will be my first time ever bear hunting. Already met with a landowner and scouted the area I want to hunt. I’ll be in zone D.
. WOW, how exciting is that! Good luck and post pictures
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:23 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Elite wrote:This will be my first time ever bear hunting. Already met with a landowner and scouted the area I want to hunt. I’ll be in zone D.
. WOW, how exciting is that! Good luck and post pictures

I’m very excited! He hasn’t let anyone bear hunt as this is his private deer hunting property. I have to stay out of specific areas but the spot I found will be perfect for thermals and dominant winds. I can’t wait to start baiting!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:53 am

I have a kill tag for Zone A in Wisconsin. I will just hunt down river on the Flambeau River. I have hunted there several times and we always got bear except one time in 2005 when you couldn't look down without seeing mushrooms and blackberries. I did see one bear but it was not more than 50 lbs gutted. It was a legal bear though . I am quite sure I will get a bear , or opt out of a small one. It has been a long time since i too a bear around my cabin. 1995 was an 80 bear gutted. Then in 1999 I got a 224 lbs gutted , 2005 , nothing and 2012 my 15 yr old son got a 206 lb gutted. I gave my points to my son so I lost them all but now I am ready to hunt one again. I am not going to bait like crazy neither. I have a spot I never hunted but is about 100 yds from a big mangy cedar swamp and has a lot of bogs and grass near by too. I will hunt right on the small ridge along the swamp. My only concern is , there is a road that comes from the other side and is only about 3/4 mi. from my stand. I am confident though that this is the best spot and is only 100 yds from the river and it is very thick along the river too. I might start baiting this weekend but if not, in a few weeks. I dont think you need to bait all that long to bring in bear if it is a good spot.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 am

ihookem wrote:I have a kill tag for Zone A in Wisconsin. I will just hunt down river on the Flambeau River. I have hunted there several times and we always got bear except one time in 2005 when you couldn't look down without seeing mushrooms and blackberries. I did see one bear but it was not more than 50 lbs gutted. It was a legal bear though . I am quite sure I will get a bear , or opt out of a small one. It has been a long time since i too a bear around my cabin. 1995 was an 80 bear gutted. Then in 1999 I got a 224 lbs gutted , 2005 , nothing and 2012 my 15 yr old son got a 206 lb gutted. I gave my points to my son so I lost them all but now I am ready to hunt one again. I am not going to bait like crazy neither. I have a spot I never hunted but is about 100 yds from a big mangy cedar swamp and has a lot of bogs and grass near by too. I will hunt right on the small ridge along the swamp. My only concern is , there is a road that comes from the other side and is only about 3/4 mi. from my stand. I am confident though that this is the best spot and is only 100 yds from the river and it is very thick along the river too. I might start baiting this weekend but if not, in a few weeks. I dont think you need to bait all that long to bring in bear if it is a good spot.

If it's a good spot you can have bears there within a couple hours
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:54 am

Second year not baiting bear UGH!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:37 am

Yes, that is true and many times when I start baiting, I have a bear in that bait before the sun goes down that day.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 am

My 3rd time baiting this year. Once in June, Yesterday and last week. I went yesterday and to my surprise, the 8 gal. of corn with molasses was not gone. I know it was a bear , there cause the hollow log was rolled a way 5' or so. I will see what happens next weekend. I am looking for some bait in the West Bend area. Does anyone know where I can get some?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:14 am

ihookem wrote:My 3rd time baiting this year. Once in June, Yesterday and last week. I went yesterday and to my surprise, the 8 gal. of corn with molasses was not gone. I know it was a bear , there cause the hollow log was rolled a way 5' or so. I will see what happens next weekend. I am looking for some bait in the West Bend area. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Corn is not a great bait... I would buy some good buck trail Mix and cookies from a bait dealer like Eric huesman or Bobs bait, or just Google bear bait, search craigslist...
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 am

What dan said! With the growing popularity of the sport and 3 to 4 times as many baits in the woods as there use to be, you need a good quality bait to keep bears at your bait otherwise you will get beat out by other baiters, and imo corn is not that great.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:54 am

I seem to be getting several bear to the bait. I am sure I have a big sow on the cam. However, there is another bear with it that is much smaller and quite certain it is a 1 1/2 yr old cub. Sometimes it is there with mom, sometimes I dont get it on the cam. Maybe it is off to the side , or is it mostly on it's own already. It is way bigger than a raccoon , so it is not a 6 month old bear. It is about the size of a black lab with short legs, likely around 50 lbs gutted. This is already a legal bear , however, I dont want to shoot the mom , even if the cub does not come in to the bait in a few weeks. I wonder if that bear would survive this winter if someone shoots the mom. I am pretty sure there are a few other baiters inside 1 mile. of me, even likely a few inside 1/2 miles from me . However, there is a good size swamp between me and the next road so bait is likely quite a ways away. I also have a bear come in that is pretty small. It might be the "cub" without mom, not sure . A few bears were very good size.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:18 pm

ihookem wrote:I seem to be getting several bear to the bait. I am sure I have a big sow on the cam. However, there is another bear with it that is much smaller and quite certain it is a 1 1/2 yr old cub. Sometimes it is there with mom, sometimes I dont get it on the cam. Maybe it is off to the side , or is it mostly on it's own already. It is way bigger than a raccoon , so it is not a 6 month old bear. It is about the size of a black lab with short legs, likely around 50 lbs gutted. This is already a legal bear , however, I dont want to shoot the mom , even if the cub does not come in to the bait in a few weeks. I wonder if that bear would survive this winter if someone shoots the mom. I am pretty sure there are a few other baiters inside 1 mile. of me, even likely a few inside 1/2 miles from me . However, there is a good size swamp between me and the next road so bait is likely quite a ways away. I also have a bear come in that is pretty small. It might be the "cub" without mom, not sure . A few bears were very good size.

That 1 1/2 year old yearling already has been educated on how to survive, it would be just fine without it’s mother.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
ihookem wrote:I seem to be getting several bear to the bait. I am sure I have a big sow on the cam. However, there is another bear with it that is much smaller and quite certain it is a 1 1/2 yr old cub. Sometimes it is there with mom, sometimes I dont get it on the cam. Maybe it is off to the side , or is it mostly on it's own already. It is way bigger than a raccoon , so it is not a 6 month old bear. It is about the size of a black lab with short legs, likely around 50 lbs gutted. This is already a legal bear , however, I dont want to shoot the mom , even if the cub does not come in to the bait in a few weeks. I wonder if that bear would survive this winter if someone shoots the mom. I am pretty sure there are a few other baiters inside 1 mile. of me, even likely a few inside 1/2 miles from me . However, there is a good size swamp between me and the next road so bait is likely quite a ways away. I also have a bear come in that is pretty small. It might be the "cub" without mom, not sure . A few bears were very good size.

That 1 1/2 year old yearling already has been educated on how to survive, it would be just fine without it’s mother.

I suspected the same thing. His mommy is a very good size bear. I will however pass on the sow if the cubs come in with her. If they dont come in with her, I might shoot it, but would rather not ,,, ,,, but 1 1/2 yr old " cubs " don't stay real close to mom, they are at least 1.5 yrs old, maybe older . I think the final law is, if there are no cubs with her, it's a legal bear. However, I'd hate to shoot and then see little black streaks running away. That would bother me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”