Where to shoot a bear

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Where to shoot a bear

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:55 am

Basically I'm saying the Middle of the middle is just a common myth. Agree?

https://youtu.be/CdBVDLjOpUI

Elite
500 Club

Re: Where to shoot a bear

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:12 am

Thanks for sharing!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:55 am

This was the first thing that came to my mind…

https://youtu.be/wh0lif1PLXU
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm

Great video, I have never liked the middle of the middle shot either, halfway between the shoulder crease and the middle of the middle has always been where I have aimed, as you stated.. Hit them there broadside they won't be far!!
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:54 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Great video, I have never liked the middle of the middle shot either, halfway between the shoulder crease and the middle of the middle has always been where I have aimed, as you stated.. Hit them there broadside they won't be far!!

True, Bears usually go down pretty close if they are hit well. They last about as long as a deer, 7-15 seconds, but they don't run as far.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:58 am

ANOTHER Tremendous Vid!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 am

I hunt bear with a .270 WIn. I shot one through the lungs one time and it ran 125 yds. I almost didnt find it. There might be a big differecne on how the bear acts after the shot by how it was acting before the shot. here is my case. The bear I shot that ran so far was really jacked up. It came running in and saw it running for about 60 yds before it stood next to my stand. Then it look at the bait and walked to it and then broadside I shot it. I think the reason it went a long way cause his adrenelin was already going real good. Could this have made it run twicw as far??? I am not sure. My son used his 270 Win. on a 206 lb bear . It was quartering to us a little and he shot it through the front shoulders. It ran about 20'. It was a pass through and I think the bone splattered and hit the bears heart cause it was scratched up. There was a lot of blood in the cavity too. Seems there are a lot of different scenarios to the whole bear hunting. Where I hunt , it is so thick that I am leary of shooting through the lungs and let it run. A lung shot however, the bear will always be dead. Another thing,,, is a boar tougher than a sow? Mine was a boar, my sons was a sow.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm

I have seen very minimal blood trails, and I've seen bears bleed like crazy on double lung shots. Double lunged bears that bleed very minimal still seem to be relatively easy to find. They are not very secretive leaving the bait after a double lung hit, and in thick cover there trail is usually very evident, blood or no blood.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:38 pm

I want to add to this thread since it is about " where to shoot a bear"...... Ok, what if it is a bad shot and you suspected it may be a long trail with little or no blood?? I ask cause I shot one through the lungs in 1999. It was 224 lbs after the guts were out. Perhaps I should have went with the front shoulders cause it was broadside. However, it ran 125 yds . Luckily , I could see it run for 50 yds. and it did run pretty straight . There was very little blood. This is my biggest concern. The place I am hunting is about 1/2 mi. from this spot , but it is a lot more brushy. So brushy in fact that I cant see 20 yds and if it takes off of 100 yds, there is a good chance I will not find it. It is just off a cedar swamp, but on a hardwood hump of about 5 acres. , behind me is the Flambeau River and there is a lot of brush along the river , and rock swells and fallen trees to boot. Does a bear act a certain way when hit? Is 125 yds odd that it ran that far?
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:38 pm

I want to add to this thread since it is about " where to shoot a bear"...... Ok, what if it is a bad shot and you suspected it may be a long trail with little or no blood?? I ask cause I shot one through the lungs in 1999. It was 224 lbs after the guts were out. Perhaps I should have went with the front shoulders cause it was broadside. However, it ran 125 yds . Luckily , I could see it run for 50 yds. and it did run pretty straight . There was very little blood. This is my biggest concern. The place I am hunting is about 1/2 mi. from this spot , but it is a lot more brushy. So brushy in fact that I cant see 20 yds and if it takes off of 100 yds, there is a good chance I will not find it. It is just off a cedar swamp, but on a hardwood hump of about 5 acres. , behind me is the Flambeau River and there is a lot of brush along the river , and rock swells and fallen trees to boot. Does a bear act a certain way when hit? Is 125 yds odd that it ran that far?
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:15 am

Great video, thanks for sharing this as bow season opens up.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:16 am

ihookem wrote:I want to add to this thread since it is about " where to shoot a bear"...... Ok, what if it is a bad shot and you suspected it may be a long trail with little or no blood?? I ask cause I shot one through the lungs in 1999. It was 224 lbs after the guts were out. Perhaps I should have went with the front shoulders cause it was broadside. However, it ran 125 yds . Luckily , I could see it run for 50 yds. and it did run pretty straight . There was very little blood. This is my biggest concern. The place I am hunting is about 1/2 mi. from this spot , but it is a lot more brushy. So brushy in fact that I cant see 20 yds and if it takes off of 100 yds, there is a good chance I will not find it. It is just off a cedar swamp, but on a hardwood hump of about 5 acres. , behind me is the Flambeau River and there is a lot of brush along the river , and rock swells and fallen trees to boot. Does a bear act a certain way when hit? Is 125 yds odd that it ran that far?
Shoot it as if it was a deer
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:05 am

ihookem wrote:I want to add to this thread since it is about " where to shoot a bear"...... Ok, what if it is a bad shot and you suspected it may be a long trail with little or no blood?? I ask cause I shot one through the lungs in 1999. It was 224 lbs after the guts were out. Perhaps I should have went with the front shoulders cause it was broadside. However, it ran 125 yds . Luckily , I could see it run for 50 yds. and it did run pretty straight . There was very little blood. This is my biggest concern. The place I am hunting is about 1/2 mi. from this spot , but it is a lot more brushy. So brushy in fact that I cant see 20 yds and if it takes off of 100 yds, there is a good chance I will not find it. It is just off a cedar swamp, but on a hardwood hump of about 5 acres. , behind me is the Flambeau River and there is a lot of brush along the river , and rock swells and fallen trees to boot. Does a bear act a certain way when hit? Is 125 yds odd that it ran that far?

125 yards is pretty far for a double lung bear, I have seen it, but only once. I find the thicker cover your in the easier they track, they just plow through the thick stuff. If you have minimal blood and they make it to a cedar swamp that can get tricky. Good chance run towards the river.
All you can do is try to make the best shot you possibly can and really pay attention after.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:00 pm

Thanks old Split toe. Sy sone shot a good size 6 yr. old sow 10 yrs ago and it was quartering him a little bit. He put it through the front shoulders . I am sure bone shrapnel blasted into other veins and into the heart. It went 20 ' and that was it . It was 206 Gutted , so not a small young bear , 6 yrs. old. This is what I want. My bear with the double lung shot ran a long ways , likely cause it was all jacked up and came running in and I saw it from about 50 yds away . It stopped 10' from my tree and looked at the bait, then walked over to it and I got a double lung. I knew it was dead but very little blood. I got very lucky at about 100 yds from the shot, I saw a drop of blood and 25 yrds later it was there. I stood there thanking God cause I was not sure I would find it. I walked up to it and the paws were over a rock. I stood there and all the sudden the leg fell off the rock and on to my boot. I jumped back at least 4 ' . Thought it was coming to get me but it was dead but the bear got the last laugh.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks old Split toe. Sy sone shot a good size 6 yr. old sow 10 yrs ago and it was quartering him a little bit. He put it through the front shoulders . I am sure bone shrapnel blasted into other veins and into the heart. It went 20 ' and that was it . It was 206 Gutted , so not a small young bear , 6 yrs. old. This is what I want. My bear with the double lung shot ran a long ways , likely cause it was all jacked up and came running in and I saw it from about 50 yds away . It stopped 10' from my tree and looked at the bait, then walked over to it and I got a double lung. I knew it was dead but very little blood. I got very lucky at about 100 yds from the shot, I saw a drop of blood and 25 yrds later it was there. I stood there thanking God cause I was not sure I would find it. I walked up to it and the paws were over a rock. I stood there and all the sudden the leg fell off the rock and on to my boot. I jumped back at least 4 ' . Thought it was coming to get me but it was dead but the bear got the last laugh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”