More bears and more bling!

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

More bears and more bling!

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:19 am

They just keep coming! Several more chocolates too, which is nice to see.

https://youtu.be/CR3BJo58hM8

stash59

Re: More bears and more bling!

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:47 am

Enjoying following this!!! Thanx!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:24 pm

Good stuff Bernie. Hope you have a good bear season
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:05 am

Bernie, I have a question and want your opinion. It is about bear hunting in Wisconsin. This year baiters start a week earlier than dogs. Next yr. dogs go first. Do you think the hunting is better earlier or later in September. I ask cause I have a kill tag this year , but my son has enough points for next year but dogs go first and baiters second week. Maybe others can chime in . I have done fairly well going the second season, but 10 yrs ago my son got his 1st tag and we went when baiters go 1st and we bait. Anyone else thing baiters are better served going 1st. SOme say there is little difference . As for me, I enjoy a little later start and many times cooler temps, falling leaves, and a slightly more fall experience compared to Sept. 7. . I was in Price co. Wi. yesterday and going through the public land I noticed colored leaves already falling, likely from very little rain so it may be a fall bear hunt come Sept. 7 anyway. It is very dry in NW WIs. The black berries and rasberries are drying on the vine and I saw very few mushrooms in the woods this weekend. We will see.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:23 pm

ihookem wrote:Bernie, I have a question and want your opinion. It is about bear hunting in Wisconsin. This year baiters start a week earlier than dogs. Next yr. dogs go first. Do you think the hunting is better earlier or later in September. I ask cause I have a kill tag this year , but my son has enough points for next year but dogs go first and baiters second week. Maybe others can chime in . I have done fairly well going the second season, but 10 yrs ago my son got his 1st tag and we went when baiters go 1st and we bait. Anyone else thing baiters are better served going 1st. SOme say there is little difference . As for me, I enjoy a little later start and many times cooler temps, falling leaves, and a slightly more fall experience compared to Sept. 7. . I was in Price co. Wi. yesterday and going through the public land I noticed colored leaves already falling, likely from very little rain so it may be a fall bear hunt come Sept. 7 anyway. It is very dry in NW WIs. The black berries and rasberries are drying on the vine and I saw very few mushrooms in the woods this weekend. We will see.
. With many years experience in heavy hound country my hunters success never changed no matter who went first. Some of my most memorable hunts were later in the season, big bears and those hides are gorgeous. Hope that helps
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm

Never really noticed much of a difference, we have taken tags on even or odd years before, some of the biggest bears have came in that first week of October.
I have always figured 80 percent of baits are not being baited anymore towards the end of September or early October. Either guys have tagged out or simply had enough.
With a lot less pressure in the woods and few baits still going last two weeks of season can be your best chance at a big bear. Imo
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:26 am

ihookem wrote:Bernie, I have a question and want your opinion. It is about bear hunting in Wisconsin. This year baiters start a week earlier than dogs. Next yr. dogs go first. Do you think the hunting is better earlier or later in September. I ask cause I have a kill tag this year , but my son has enough points for next year but dogs go first and baiters second week. Maybe others can chime in . I have done fairly well going the second season, but 10 yrs ago my son got his 1st tag and we went when baiters go 1st and we bait. Anyone else thing baiters are better served going 1st. SOme say there is little difference . As for me, I enjoy a little later start and many times cooler temps, falling leaves, and a slightly more fall experience compared to Sept. 7. . I was in Price co. Wi. yesterday and going through the public land I noticed colored leaves already falling, likely from very little rain so it may be a fall bear hunt come Sept. 7 anyway. It is very dry in NW WIs. The black berries and rasberries are drying on the vine and I saw very few mushrooms in the woods this weekend. We will see.

I don't know that I'm the right person to ask because I don't have much experience in Wisconsin, although I have hunted other areas where the dogs were running at the same time. Some people say they prefer to bait when the dogs go first and others try to get a bear the first week before the hounds hit the woods. Honestly I can see both sides. Hopefully others with more experience in this will chime in.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:05 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Never really noticed much of a difference, we have taken tags on even or odd years before, some of the biggest bears have came in that first week of October.
I have always figured 80 percent of baits are not being baited anymore towards the end of September or early October. Either guys have tagged out or simply had enough.
With a lot less pressure in the woods and few baits still going last two weeks of season can be your best chance at a big bear. Imo

I have always suspected this but was never sure. I think I will go the second weekend and hunt into October . However, if it takes another 10 yrs. I will be 69 yrs old by then. I always wanted to hunt late season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”