The 2022 Great Big Bear Hunt

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

218er
500 Club

The 2022 Great Big Bear Hunt

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:00 pm

2022 was a big year for my bear hunting career. My buddy M and I drew a limited quota tag in MN. I’ve only hunted a limited draw tag one other time. That was my first bear hunt 7 years ago. Although I grew up in an area with bears nobody I hunted with hunted them. Through the process of running trail cameras I realized how many bears there actually are out there. I’d think the learning curve to becoming a bear hunter as being steep however the resources available through the beast, podcasts, books, you tube videos, etc make it very possible to achieve success. I’d like to thank any all who have posted within the bear hunting section here for knowledge to get it done. Here’s a step by step about how I got it done this year.

The zone we drew for this year is a central MN zone which takes about 4-5 years to draw a tag. The area we hunt is a combination of Mn state forest, Wma, and or county forfeited lands. The area is primarily Oak Savanna with oak flats, swamps with Tamarack, private lands of row crop agriculture, pine thickets, and or poplar cuts. When looking at the Mn collared bear study areas I’d say it compares similar to the Fort Ripley area.

Upon receiving notice that we had successfully drew our tags scouting started early. We’ve always been able to get bears on our sites but occasionally they were nocturnal or there wasn’t a great stand tree to conceal one’s position. An emphasis was put on bulletproof locations where the predominant south wind as of our September 1st opener was factored in. Additionally most our sites back a road, trail, clear cut, mature woods etc that a bear wouldn’t attempt to circle you.

Persistence is undefeated.
218er
500 Club

Re: The 2022 Great Big Bear Hunt

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:15 pm

We came up with about 8-10 possible bait site locations in mind come the opening of baiting. The plan was to set 6 and rotate through the losers. We gathered about 1900 lbs of bait and 15 five gallon buckets of fryer oil. The baiting plan to set 6 sites became 5 after things taking longer than expected. The plan was to bait Saturday 8/13 heavy, the following weekend, and then the following weekend before the opener Thursday 9/1. The first round of bait is sugar heavy with oats, frosting, cracked corn, gummies, m&m’s, molasses, popcorn, breads, and table scraps. Week 2 is similar but more nuts are worked in. Round three is peanuts, trail mix, and a little sugar. The intent is to complete with acorns which are about the number 1 natural option come out opener.

We use north woods gold rush to spike the fryer oil which gets splashed all over the bait sites. Additionally, scents that are sprayed help attract bears.

Site locations are based on a few specific items. 1) it most be close to water. 2) heavy enough cover that a bear feels comfortable visiting during huntable hours. 3) manageable enough to keep baited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:24 pm

Upon setting the five baits bears were hitting them before we were done that day. Initially there were a lot of lab sized bears or sows with cubs but by midweek 4 out of 5 sites were buzzing. Check out some of early visitors.

Due to constant activity at several sites 3 of the five sites were cleared out of the 200-300 lbs from the initial baiting. This is less than ideal but upon loading them up and scented up them they were all active within a day or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 pm

In an effort to avoid the sites running out I re baited at 2.5 weeks instead of waiting until the weekend. We rebaited thar weekend and prepared for the 9/1 opening. A lot of the biggest bears became nocturnal or first thing am bears which made their huntability limited.

Come hunt day 1 I had option pick one and took the outpost which typically had 3-5 bears a day hitting it. A monster was there about 6 am, mid am was a mix, 12-1 was the best window to get into the stand, and most afternoons from 1:30 on were busy.

12:55 opener I walked in and was set. It was hot into the low 80’s. I felt good getting hit in the face by hot wind gusts knowing my scent was headed back towards the road and hollow woods were must bears wouldn’t attempt to circle.

4:10 the first bear appeared behind the barrel sliding under a log on its way in. I assumed initially it was a lab, 75-100 lbs since it’s head was about 1.5 feet off the ground. However that was because it was on its belly. Once it stood up I knew it was a shooter. Nice size head and good frame. It came in head on and took about two minutes to turn broadside. I had all the time to prepare myself for the shot and was calm as I placed the shoot from my 300 rum 6 inches behind the front leg. The bear jetted about 10 yards and flopped on its belly. It was down for about 30 seconds before getting up and circling another 10 yards before coughing a few times. I wasn’t able to get off a second shot or see much further to the density off the woods. I got my buddy and the track job took about 5 minutes.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:51 pm

We processed my bear that night and upon the recovery re-baited and scented the site I was hunting that night. An hour after I had shot my bear a sow and cubs showed up, there were bears on the site over night, and in the am so my buddy decided to hunt the same site the following day. 4:15 we got a call and he came screaming into camp saying he got one. His recovery was easier as he dropped it in its tracks right off a log behind the barrel.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:05 pm

Both bears happened to be sows without cubs. Mine weighed 219 and his weighed 166. Out of the 5 sites 3 or 4 would have been huntable depending on the winds and 4 of 5 had consistent daylight activity. You can’t use the word easy to describe bear hunting but most aspects of the hunt went so smoothly it was laughable. Two days of low 80’s blasting south winds made most our sites huntable. The weather turned on days 3 and 4 of the trip but we were tagged out by then. Somehow the amount of bait and scents turned out to be perfect as we dumped the last of those the day my buddy shot his bear. The following day we pulled all barrels, stands, signs, and cameras. All of the sites had been hit and were cleared out for the most part. Thanks again to all who have posted tips , tricks, and techniques over the years as the information is priceless to someone who started bear hunting with basically zero base knowledge.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:06 pm

Both bears happened to be sows without cubs. Mine weighed 219 and his weighed 166. Out of the 5 sites 3 or 4 would have been huntable depending on the winds and 4 of 5 had consistent daylight activity. You can’t use the word easy to describe bear hunting but most aspects of the hunt went so smoothly it was laughable. Two days of low 80’s blasting south winds made most our sites huntable. The weather turned on days 3 and 4 of the trip but we were tagged out by then. Somehow the amount of bait and scents turned out to be perfect as we dumped the last of those the day my buddy shot his bear. The following day we pulled all barrels, stands, signs, and cameras. All of the sites had been hit and were cleared out for the most part. Thanks again to all who have posted tips , tricks, and techniques over the years as the information is priceless to someone who started bear hunting with basically zero base knowledge.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:27 am

Congrats to you and your buddy on an awesome hunt!!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:12 am

Beartacular!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:43 am

Super awesome, congratulations guys, very nice detailed story
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:10 am

Nice bear and more than what I saw. How far did it run? I ask cause I debate weather I should shoot the shoulders or behind the shoulder. I use a .270 Win. but I dont think it makes much difference on a 200 lb bear.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:12 pm

Mine went 25-30 yards with a 300 rum. My buddy placed his shot better and dropped it in its tracks with a 30-06.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:23 pm

Congrats on your success !!!!!!
For those who haven't baited bear and hunted them, they are missing out. So much fun!!
Glad it worked out for ya!!!!!
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:18 am

Very nice looking bear. Congrats.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 am

Where did you both shoot the bear? Was your buddy with his 06 put it in the front shoulders? I ask cause I want to drop them right there . I am hunting alone for now on cause my son cant come. I dont under any circumstance to have him get back in that swamp. It will be spoinled bfore I get it out , especially if it is hot as it was .

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”