Next strategy

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Re: Next strategy

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:14 am

Bearman13 wrote:Just keep watching them cameras. A lot of times it’s just an waiting game. Eventually all that food will be gone and people will give up. I just told a buddy of mine who hunts in MN this. Took him 16 days before he connected in a high pressure are with tons of baits and natural food.

One thing people don’t realize is bears know what treestands are, they will sit back and watch or look to see if someone is in the stand. I have left stands up and moved my clients to a natural ground blind or left the stand in place and hung another.

Good luck!

That’s part of my strategy now. I’ll leave my stand up and setup my mobile stand, and tear it down when I’m done. He knows everything about me now haha.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 am

I did this and have mentioned this numerous times in the past. I often would set up a dummy stand on the opposite side of where the hunter would be sitting I also keep my trail cameras on the opposite side also, those bears always seem to gravitate towards objects like that while approaching a bait station, always had well worn trails right past the stand and camera. The trick with the dummy stand is put it up only 6 feet off the ground. The real trick is don’t even set up the stand that you will be sitting in until hunt time, I believe Dan does this often both for bear and mostly whitetails
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:25 pm

Does the amount of bait I put out every-other day make a difference at this point?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:56 am

Elite wrote:Does the amount of bait I put out every-other day make a difference at this point?

From years of experience and you will get many different views on this, I like to make bears hungry so they will come back during daylight hours too feed again, I liked to bait this time of year with 5 gallons I don’t like a bear filling there belly then sleeping and not moving all day until dark. Make them hungry
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 am

Where I was just hunting there are 6 or more baits per square mile. The guy baiting for me was putting out 1 gallon of bait every 2 days... Cant hold bears on that much when the leave hungry and just go to another guys bait who has all they want. I think where I was in Wisconsin 5 gallon every other day is pretty good. I dont want them to run out of food, especially for a day or more. In Minnesota I do extremely well in comparison to the people hunting around me by putting out huge amount of bait with a good variety. And the only time I had bears leave for several days was when the bait would get all eaten..Enten... Then I would have to work to bring them back... Both in Minnesota and in Western Wisconsin I noticed bears were the most leary on bait days and would come on more often and more comfortable (daylight) a day or 2 after baiting... Harder to do in Wisc cause of limits. but the 5 gallons every 2 days seems to work ok... One thing is for sure though, bears are different every where you go along with differing populations, pressure, and differing laws. Experiment and find out what works best for you.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:09 am

dan wrote:Where I was just hunting there are 6 or more baits per square mile. The guy baiting for me was putting out 1 gallon of bait every 2 days... Cant hold bears on that much when the leave hungry and just go to another guys bait who has all they want. I think where I was in Wisconsin 5 gallon every other day is pretty good. I dont want them to run out of food, especially for a day or more. In Minnesota I do extremely well in comparison to the people hunting around me by putting out huge amount of bait with a good variety. And the only time I had bears leave for several days was when the bait would get all eaten..Enten... Then I would have to work to bring them back... Both in Minnesota and in Western Wisconsin I noticed bears were the most leary on bait days and would come on more often and more comfortable (daylight) a day or 2 after baiting... Harder to do in Wisc cause of limits. but the 5 gallons every 2 days seems to work ok... One thing is for sure though, bears are different every where you go along with differing populations, pressure, and differing laws. Experiment and find out what works best for you.

I put out 5 gallons on Monday and the bear was there about 20 minutes after legal for 1.5 hours (I have a cell cam on it). He laid there eating and guarding the bait. Last night he was there a little bit later for the same amount of time, but came back a second time between 4 and 5am.
I’m wondering if 5 gallons is too much, meaning he’s not “pressured” to get to the bait before another bear because he’s the only one hitting it day after day. I’m rebaiting and hunting tonight, and will be hunting Thursday night. Maybe try 2 gallons, I don’t know….
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:02 am

Elite wrote:
dan wrote:Where I was just hunting there are 6 or more baits per square mile. The guy baiting for me was putting out 1 gallon of bait every 2 days... Cant hold bears on that much when the leave hungry and just go to another guys bait who has all they want. I think where I was in Wisconsin 5 gallon every other day is pretty good. I dont want them to run out of food, especially for a day or more. In Minnesota I do extremely well in comparison to the people hunting around me by putting out huge amount of bait with a good variety. And the only time I had bears leave for several days was when the bait would get all eaten..Enten... Then I would have to work to bring them back... Both in Minnesota and in Western Wisconsin I noticed bears were the most leary on bait days and would come on more often and more comfortable (daylight) a day or 2 after baiting... Harder to do in Wisc cause of limits. but the 5 gallons every 2 days seems to work ok... One thing is for sure though, bears are different every where you go along with differing populations, pressure, and differing laws. Experiment and find out what works best for you.

I put out 5 gallons on Monday and the bear was there about 20 minutes after legal for 1.5 hours (I have a cell cam on it). He laid there eating and guarding the bait. Last night he was there a little bit later for the same amount of time, but came back a second time between 4 and 5am.
I’m wondering if 5 gallons is too much, meaning he’s not “pressured” to get to the bait before another bear because he’s the only one hitting it day after day. I’m rebaiting and hunting tonight, and will be hunting Thursday night. Maybe try 2 gallons, I don’t know….

I tjink reducing bait in that situation is a good idea... Its worth a try.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm

If you’re hunting the same bait multiple days in a row there’s no need to put down more then couple gallons of bait
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:33 am

I hunted last night with no sightings. Conditions were perfect and I thought it was going to happen. I did a hang and hunt and pulled the stand and sticks after the hunt.
I’ve been up with the kids this morning since 6:45am, checked my cell cam, and the bear was at the bait at 7:30am. I debated sneaking in there with a rifle but my gut told me “that’s not fair chase”. He left about 8am. The frustration continues….
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 am

Elite wrote:I hunted last night with no sightings. Conditions were perfect and I thought it was going to happen. I did a hang and hunt and pulled the stand and sticks after the hunt.
I’ve been up with the kids this morning since 6:45am, checked my cell cam, and the bear was at the bait at 7:30am. I debated sneaking in there with a rifle but my gut told me “that’s not fair chase”. He left about 8am. The frustration continues….

Like I said “your getting closer”. Sneaking in there chances he would have heard you anyways. Get in there and hunt it tonight, I got a funny feeling your going to get him tonight. Good luck
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Elite wrote:I hunted last night with no sightings. Conditions were perfect and I thought it was going to happen. I did a hang and hunt and pulled the stand and sticks after the hunt.

Like I said “your getting closer”. Sneaking in there chances he would have heard you anyways. Get in there and hunt it tonight, I got a funny feeling your going to get him tonight. Good luck

Should I rebait before the hunt or leave it alone?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:11 am

If he has opened it up and already consumed some already I would bring in some more, maybe a couple gallons of dry bait, get yourself a pillowcase to put the bait in that way your not taking a bucket with, you can fold that pillowcase up and tuck it away easily then get in your stand.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:28 am

That’s a pretty good idea, I’ll try that.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:51 am

Got permission from a different landowner to hunt his spot. He tagged out opening day and started baiting today.
I brought in my bait using a Walmart cloth bag. The boar ate the 2.5 gallons of bait this morning. I’m currently on the ground waiting for a big storm to pass. Supposed to stop around 6 and hopefully that pushes him to eat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”