DIY baiting vs hiring help to bait

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

DIY baiting vs hiring help to bait

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:05 pm

My friend James who is in his early 30s just finished up his bear hunt on Monday night, which was successful. Since I was somewhat involved I thought would start this topic. There are many experienced bear hunters on this site, me not being one of them. My experience has been a 2007 hunt and a 2014 hunt. Both where I was involved at the beginning, a little in the middle and then at the end. Both were successful, but I had some help. Not a guide, but people who have been doing it for many years.

I originally thought bear baiting was throwing some donuts and other sweets on the ground and they would come in. Then throw some deep fry oil and bacon greese on the ground so anything coming in would track it around leading scent to the bait site. I just wasn't paying attention to the quality of the bait site in prior years. This year it really hit me. The bear bait supplier in Pinconning was talking about variety and quality. I also remember some things dan has said, and this year it just came together.

Now there is a case to be made for hiring a guide or getting some local help as you can have a better baiting routine, which I think is important. We did not have that this year, what we did have, I think was quality bait and some variety. When I say quality, I will list it. We started with granola and rice krispy for filler, frosting and caramel for sweets, and some scents given to us from G2 bear guides and a cherry scent from the bear bait supplier in Pinconning. I will find their contact info and list in a follow up. We were warned by a local, Jason Samkowiak of the Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast (http://tbwpodcast.com/) that the oak drop could hurt us. So from the start we started using peanut butter to try to head this off by using a competing protein. We also used some coconut to add some fat. We through in as much variety with sweets and fruits, even some meat and fish. We always through the meat and fish to the side, so as not to contaminate the bait with rotting meat, but threw it in there for some stink and other critters.

James had two very active bait sites with some very quality bears hitting it. When you are doing it the hard way as James was, he was commuting from down here and which was at least a 5 hour round trip just to get up there, + baiting time. First you just want to see bear hitting, but when you get closer to season, you want to see daylight hits. He started getting more daylight hits closer to the opener, which was very encouraging, and I think it was due to the quality and variety. So that is something to consider when you want to do it yourself. He championed the DIY aspect, even though he had a full time job, two young kids and a wife. He made it up about 2X per week when he could. Most of the times the bait was completely wiped out. He/we scented it up every time as if he were starting a new bait. I told him to pay attention to how long it was after being wiped out, and then baiting again to when they came back. In the middle it was a day or two, near the end it was pretty quick, same day.

Just want to throw this out there, as in many states it takes several years to get a bear tag (James had 9 points or years for this). So I think a lot of people are wondering if they should get a guide or hire some help to bait. It is a difficult question to answer. I just want to share that you can do it yourself. You just need to accept the work, time, drive, dedication before doing it yourself. Also, if you do it yourself, don't just throw some donuts and sweets on the ground. Be mindful of a quality bait site with some variety. We tried to introduce something new at the beginning through the middle, and scent it up good every time out. I truly believe the peanut butter was key, to keeping the bear coming back as the acorns started to fall.

Any input from experienced bear hunters is welcome. Just wanted to share my experience with a mostly DIY crowd, from a not very experienced bear hunter.

Thought I better throw some pics in. The stand used

my ugly mug

Okay, okay, the bait.

James at the bait site. We rubbed a lot of peanut butter and frosting on trees, as well as shoot as much scents as possible and deep fry oil in the trees

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: DIY baiting vs hiring help to bait

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:54 pm

GREAT AND MEMORACLE HUNT... Bear hunting can be so much more than just hunting... Its an experience for all involved. I would imagine this was almost as great a hunt for you (Lou) as it was for James. The baiting and work involved can be a great part of that experience. Working with a good guide can be a great experience and learning opportunity too. Putting your trust in a bad guide after waiting all those years can suck. It really pays to do your research. At least when hunting DIY you can take responsibility for your success or failure. When you pay someone it can be that you learn a lot for an experienced guide who has learned a lot over the years hunting with many hunters every season, or it can be a miserable time with someone you don't trust, or feel is incompetent. I have learned a lot from hunting with people like Mike Foss, and other great hunters and combining what they have shown me with what I have learned on my own.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:27 am

I only went bear hunting once. Didn't see anything. But we really didn't have the time put in to do it right. We did put out bait, poured some into a big partially rotted tree stump. The next day we went back and the stump was ripped apart. :shock:

Okay, so, do deer like peanut butter? :lol:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:52 am

I have always did DIY and grew up in a bear hunting family, I personally enjoy the baiting as much if not more than the actual hunt.

DIY can get very expensive if your traveling a few hours, especially in Wisconsin with the extended baiting season. A guide is more than likely going to save you money.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:33 am

Huntress13 wrote:I only went bear hunting once. Didn't see anything. But we really didn't have the time put in to do it right. We did put out bait, poured some into a big partially rotted tree stump. The next day we went back and the stump was ripped apart. :shock:

Okay, so, do deer like peanut butter? :lol:

About as much as raccoons do!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:44 am

Uncle Lou wrote:My friend James who is in his early 30s just finished up his bear hunt on Monday night, which was successful. Since I was somewhat involved I thought would start this topic. There are many experienced bear hunters on this site, me not being one of them. My experience has been a 2007 hunt and a 2014 hunt. Both where I was involved at the beginning, a little in the middle and then at the end. Both were successful, but I had some help. Not a guide, but people who have been doing it for many years.

I originally thought bear baiting was throwing some donuts and other sweets on the ground and they would come in. Then throw some deep fry oil and bacon greese on the ground so anything coming in would track it around leading scent to the bait site. I just wasn't paying attention to the quality of the bait site in prior years. This year it really hit me. The bear bait supplier in Pinconning was talking about variety and quality. I also remember some things dan has said, and this year it just came together.

Now there is a case to be made for hiring a guide or getting some local help as you can have a better baiting routine, which I think is important. We did not have that this year, what we did have, I think was quality bait and some variety. When I say quality, I will list it. We started with granola and rice krispy for filler, frosting and caramel for sweets, and some scents given to us from G2 bear guides and a cherry scent from the bear bait supplier in Pinconning. I will find their contact info and list in a follow up. We were warned by a local, Jason Samkowiak of the Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness Podcast (http://tbwpodcast.com/) that the oak drop could hurt us. So from the start we started using peanut butter to try to head this off by using a competing protein. We also used some coconut to add some fat. We through in as much variety with sweets and fruits, even some meat and fish. We always through the meat and fish to the side, so as not to contaminate the bait with rotting meat, but threw it in there for some stink and other critters.

James had two very active bait sites with some very quality bears hitting it. When you are doing it the hard way as James was, he was commuting from down here and which was at least a 5 hour round trip just to get up there, + baiting time. First you just want to see bear hitting, but when you get closer to season, you want to see daylight hits. He started getting more daylight hits closer to the opener, which was very encouraging, and I think it was due to the quality and variety. So that is something to consider when you want to do it yourself. He championed the DIY aspect, even though he had a full time job, two young kids and a wife. He made it up about 2X per week when he could. Most of the times the bait was completely wiped out. He/we scented it up every time as if he were starting a new bait. I told him to pay attention to how long it was after being wiped out, and then baiting again to when they came back. In the middle it was a day or two, near the end it was pretty quick, same day.

Just want to throw this out there, as in many states it takes several years to get a bear tag (James had 9 points or years for this). So I think a lot of people are wondering if they should get a guide or hire some help to bait. It is a difficult question to answer. I just want to share that you can do it yourself. You just need to accept the work, time, drive, dedication before doing it yourself. Also, if you do it yourself, don't just throw some donuts and sweets on the ground. Be mindful of a quality bait site with some variety. We tried to introduce something new at the beginning through the middle, and scent it up good every time out. I truly believe the peanut butter was key, to keeping the bear coming back as the acorns started to fall.

Any input from experienced bear hunters is welcome. Just wanted to share my experience with a mostly DIY crowd, from a not very experienced bear hunter.

Thought I better throw some pics in. The stand used

my ugly mug

Okay, okay, the bait.

James at the bait site. We rubbed a lot of peanut butter and frosting on trees, as well as shoot as much scents as possible and deep fry oil in the trees
. Thanks Dan…. When hunters called inquiring about my hunt I always said if you can afford it and have the time to invest I highly recommend DIY. Quality fresh bait is a must, imagine yourself going out to eat, you want fresh food and not something that has been sitting around for awhile if you don’t like it you won’t be coming back to that establishment. I was the type of guide that put my clients first, I could care less about hunting bears myself, the thrill has always been in the field setting the hunt up for the hunters, the educational process I put the hunters through increased their odds greatly and the success in my camp showed. If I had a family member draw a tag the clients always went first. Got a little carried away here. Yes DIY is the way to go but if you can’t then hire a guide but do your homework. DIY hunt you learn so much more there is a greater self satisfaction with it. Bears are one of the most cat & mouse intelligence animals you will ever hunt. Your comment about baits shutting down, it happens every year no matter what. Congratulations on your great experience
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:55 pm

I did several DIY hunts for me , brother and son. I did 4 for me, 1 with my son and 1 with my brother . That is 6 DIY . I did one Minnesota hunt that I payed a guy $450 to bait and let me use his stands. I I am 2 for 4 but I have a tag this year and it is not over yet so it might be 3 for 4. My brother did 1 and my son did 1 . That is 6 DIY and one " guided hunt". I enjoyed the guided hunt and got a 107 lb bear after 3 days. It was the only bear I saw and it was hot. The Crane Lake Mn. country is just beautiful and I enjoyed it. The guide, was barely a guide but he was legit to some degree. When I pulled up to his place I all but went back home. He had junk everywhere, bear bait laying in the yard. The place just stunk. It had a bear skelletin on the garage roof from last year. He had a bull moose head on his porch that was fresh enough that it stunk. A look in the window and it was piled with junk. A look in his shed had rotten coon hides still hanging from last year. He did skin the bear for me on the ground in his yard. WHen I got home I saw it had chicken on the meat. . He ended up getting in trouble with the DNR about game violations and off to Alaske he went where his dad lived. Never heard from him again. I did enjoy it though. My 3 of my 4 hunts for myself , well , the 1st hunt, I didnt see a bear for 5 days so I shot the 1st one. It was 83 lbs gutted. The registration lady said it was not all that small and have seen smaller. I also have seen smaller . The next hunt was 1999. I baited and didnt see a bear the 1st night. Second day was rain till 3PM. I went out at 4 PM. I had a real nice bear come in and thought it sure is bigger than the 83 lb one .so I shot it. It ran off and I took 1 hr. to find it right at dark. It hardly had any blood. It was 224 lbs gutted. It is 6'6 from nose to tail . It got caught in a house fire and the nose had to be glued back on and it is frizzed a little but still look at it with pride. Insurance gave me $3,600 for damages. The next time was 2005. I saw 1 bear about 80 lbs gutted. I passed and the only bear I saw . Food was alll over the woods. I have a tag this year but only hunted 3 times and not going this weekend due to wind , rain and warm temps. My brother got one in 2001. It was 68 lbs gutted. We were shocked that it was that small but that is the real weight. My son had one in 2012 and got his 1st bear and was 206 lbs gutted. We have had some really memorable hunts. My 1999 224 lb bear is one I will reflect on my death bed. My dad was in the cabin and heard the shot but It was dark before I got to the cabin. He knew I shot and it was loud but 300 yds away. Dad helped drag it out , we got to the registration around 10PM. It is the best tiem I ever had with dad. He's been gone now for 5 yrs. My sons bear hunt was awsum. The 1st day we had a really big bear come in 10 min. beofre close. It knocked the log over and walked into the brush and sat down like a dog. My son could not see it but came back in 2 min before close and sat down on the dark ground . At 15, I did not think he had the experience of where to shoot it so we passed. it sat there eating for an hour and we were stuck in the stand in the pitch black night. It was a dark night to boot. We could hear it breath and snort . Then he walked away and we quicky and quietly got down. It was a day we will never forget , especially for a 15 yr olds 1st bear hunt. The next day we saw a bear but didnt come in . The 3rd day the same bear came in aI whispered, through the front shoulders. Its just a target. He waited and I said go for it. The .270 WIn, put the sow down in 20' . We were SO SO happy. Truely one of the best hunts ,if not the best hunt I ever had. The DIY hunts are likely not as productive , but very rewarding.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:25 pm

Glad to see some heavy weights on the site weighed in. I just put this up there to let mostly a DIY group know that you can do it yourself, but you have to make the decision how much to put into it. I know that a guide with established spots can give a great experience, but just wanted to let members know that it can be done yourself as well, IF you work your tail off. Appreciate all the responses.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 am

The satisfaction of a successful dyi bear hunt is pretty priceless.
Persistence is undefeated.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:43 am

In NH only the permittee & sub-permittee can bait.
In my case where I own the property, the land owner is the only one that can bait, and you are allowed 2 sub-permittee's.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:48 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:In NH only the permittee & sub-permittee can bait.
In my case where I own the property, the land owner is the only one that can bait, and you are allowed 2 sub-permittee's.

It’s interesting how each state has different rules and regulations.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:30 am

Great summary of your hunts ihookem. That is great. I have now been part of 3, almost 4, went up in 08 to help drag one out, with the group that helped me in 07. That 08 bear was a brute. If I remember correctly 356 dressed. It took 4 of us to get it out and we wrecked a 2 wheeled deer cart, ended up turning it into a gurney. I will never forget when we got it to the truck, the camp boss didn't allow gutting until they were out. Here we were with about 4 trucks and 8 or so people and not a knife among that group. My truck wasn't there, or there would have been a few more, but I rode with some others from camp. I said get out of my way and pulled my little case canoe pocket knife out and took care of business.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:47 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:In NH only the permittee & sub-permittee can bait.

It’s interesting how each state has different rules and regulations.

The more I travel and hunt, the more it strikes me how much different one state or area can be from another based on pressure, population, and on restrictions / rules. Subtle differences seem to make huge differences in the hunt and ways you have to go about it. I think experiencing new areas, states, and differing ways of hunting bears grows you as a hunter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”