2022 Pennsylvania Bear Season

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CBM

2022 Pennsylvania Bear Season

Unread postby CBM » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:16 pm

We're about 30-days out from the archery bear opener in Pennsylvania. Thought I'd throw up a few videos along the way. Bowhunting bears in PA are quite challenging. Hunting 9000 acres of public. No baiting, no scents, stands must be carried in and out on every hunt, and no trail cameras allowed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYk_racDb0

”It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.”
Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: 2022 Pennsylvania Bear Season

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:01 am

CBM wrote:We're about 30-days out from the archery bear opener in Pennsylvania. Thought I'd throw up a few videos along the way. Bowhunting bears in PA are quite challenging. Hunting 9000 acres of public. No baiting, no scents, stands must be carried in and out on every hunt, and no trail cameras allowed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mYk_racDb0

Move to Wisconsin…. Lol That would be challenging
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:37 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Move to Wisconsin…. Lol That would be challenging[/quote]

I've arrowed a couple of PA bears but it's not easy. Not being able to trim any shooting lanes on this particular public has cost me more than one bear. It gets frustrating having bears within 20 yards of you and not being able to get an arrow to them. :violin:
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:54 am

I can imagine the challenge , however, I waited 10 yrs for 1 bear tag and so far the season is a flop. Everything went wrong. The bears completely stopped hitting the bait the day before opener. We sat the opener and no bear, hot and sticky. The next day was windy , hot and a bad wind for the stand so we didnt go. The bear still did not touch the bait. The 3rd day we hunted , it starts to drizzle, then rain, then pouring rain. We see a bear pasing about 70 yds , it wont come in and it is huge. We wait in the rain for 45 min. after seeing the bear. We were frozen and went back to the cabin. The trail cam said we did the right thing cause it didnt come in till 5AM. We sit another day, and nothing. I am going back for 4 days , Wed. night if I can get the work done , then Thur, to SUnday night , four sits and maybe a morning sit. It will be much cooler . We will see, but if not , I wait another 10 yrs and I will be 69 yrs. old by then. My son gets one next year though.
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:26 pm

ihookem wrote:I can imagine the challenge , however, I waited 10 yrs for 1 bear tag and so far the season is a flop. Everything went wrong. The bears completely stopped hitting the bait the day before opener. We sat the opener and no bear, hot and sticky. The next day was windy , hot and a bad wind for the stand so we didnt go. The bear still did not touch the bait. The 3rd day we hunted , it starts to drizzle, then rain, then pouring rain. We see a bear pasing about 70 yds , it wont come in and it is huge. We wait in the rain for 45 min. after seeing the bear. We were frozen and went back to the cabin. The trail cam said we did the right thing cause it didnt come in till 5AM. We sit another day, and nothing. I am going back for 4 days , Wed. night if I can get the work done , then Thur, to SUnday night , four sits and maybe a morning sit. It will be much cooler . We will see, but if not , I wait another 10 yrs and I will be 69 yrs. old by then. My son gets one next year though.

Good luck, @ihookem. That's a long time to wait. Hope you shoot a Booner. I enjoy hunting bears over bait immensely. We just can't do it here in PA. I've shot several in New Brunswick and Ontario but I'm a no-vaccine guy so haven't been across the border for a couple of years. Starting to look around the states a bit now for some possible future hunts. Bernie looks like he's got it going on in Minnesota so I'm researching that a bit. Good luck to your son next year as well.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Maine is good. Have ya ben there?
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:43 pm

ihookem wrote:Maine is good. Have ya ben there?

Only driving through to get to New Brunswick.
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:12 am

Part two of my 2022 quest for a PA bear. Human intrusion is picking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnawIyo8kWU&t=1s
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:17 am

Part three of my 2022 quest for a PA bear. Hung a stand and have the Beast stand ready to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPF-JpbiA6M
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:17 pm

I've seen more bears this year than ever. In three hunts I've seen four different bears. None of them cubs. I got about 7 different bears on trail cam this season. I'm really hopeful this year. I'm sighting in my muzzleloader tomorrow. Can't wait for the 15th.
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:21 pm

CBM wrote:Part two of my 2022 quest for a PA bear. Human intrusion is picking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnawIyo8kWU&t=1s

You're pretty much blowing up all of our spots by showing corn field footage while talking about human intrusion. Maybe you shouldn't plaster videos all over the internet of how you hunt.
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:05 am

Went out this afternoon. Someone was sitting almost in the exact tree I had picked out. I'm giving up on the fields. Everybody and their brother is hunting them today. I moved to a hillside ridge that has some good sign. Maybe I'll try again Tuesday.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:22 am

Yoder wrote:Went out this afternoon. Someone was sitting almost in the exact tree I had picked out. I'm giving up on the fields. Everybody and their brother is hunting them today. I moved to a hillside ridge that has some good sign. Maybe I'll try again Tuesday.

Sounds like what happens in Wisconsin’s Zone C lol
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:27 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
Yoder wrote:Went out this afternoon. Someone was sitting almost in the exact tree I had picked out. I'm giving up on the fields. Everybody and their brother is hunting them today. I moved to a hillside ridge that has some good sign. Maybe I'll try again Tuesday.

Sounds like what happens in Wisconsin’s Zone C lol

Lol
CBM

Unread postby CBM » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:25 am

Been slow in my part of PA. Temps in the mid-'70s with a lot of sun. Still plugging away every day because they're leaving their calling cards throughout the area.
thumbnail_IMG_7008 (Small).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6965 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”