Turkey tactic's... "Locked up"

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

peteherbst

Re: Turkey tactic's... "Locked up"

Unread postby peteherbst » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 am

I usually have a decoy or two with me so I would try to set a decoy out if possible. Also, depending on what he can see, I’ve always had success in scratching in the leaves if he’s hung up to calling.

If nothing works, gotta let him walk off. Unless letting the lead fly is more your style. 8-)

“You have to pay your dues”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:37 am

bump
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:36 am

Hit him with some Jake yelps (very deadly call) but if that doesn't work, let him leave then reposition to one side (use the terrain of course) and try him again.
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:15 am

dan wrote:
You'd be surprised how doing the Wile-E-Coyote Pine Tree sneak on them actually works to close the distance a bit.

Thats good stuff Muddy! I would like to have film of you doing the Wily! :lol:

:lol: :lol: This reminds me of a guy I saw on a hunting show that would crouch down and do a "duck walk" out to adjust, set up, or remove decoys because he said he "looks like a turkey when he does it and it doesn't spook em off"

For real though, to answer Dan's original question. If he's inside 60, standing still enough, and I have a good rest...I'm probably pulling the trigger. I've patterned my gun with the Longbeard XRs out that far, and I'd feel confident enough to take that shot. If my confidence isn't there based one of the factors I mentioned earlier not being good, I'm going to do what others said and let him walk then try to cut him off somewhere else.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:34 am

burkhart wrote:
Racks&Beards wrote:
dan wrote:
You'd be surprised how doing the Wile-E-Coyote Pine Tree sneak on them actually works to close the distance a bit.

:lol: :lol: This reminds me of a guy I saw on a hunting show that would crouch down and do a "duck walk" out to adjust, set up, or remove decoys because he said he "looks like a turkey when he does it and it doesn't spook em off"

For real though, to answer Dan's original question. If he's inside 60, standing still enough, and I have a good rest...I'm probably pulling the trigger. I've patterned my gun with the Longbeard XRs out that far, and I'd feel confident enough to take that shot. If my confidence isn't there based one of the factors I mentioned earlier not being good, I'm going to do what others said and let him walk then try to cut him off somewhere else.

I’ve seen u shoot.... that bird is as safe at 60 inches as 60 yards.....

That was just a freak occurrence :lol: There's a reason shot expert every single time in my AF career. :dance:
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:35 am

Racks&Beards wrote:
burkhart wrote:
Racks&Beards wrote:
dan wrote:

I’ve seen u shoot.... that bird is as safe at 60 inches as 60 yards.....

That was just a freak occurrence :lol: There's a reason I shot expert every single time in my AF career. :dance:
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 pm

If he seems to have a hen nearby, I’d call really aggressively to her and tried to get her mad and bring the entire party my way. If that doesn’t work, well I’ll take a longer shot with the right ammo.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:42 am

Honestly, I'd let him walk.
Let him get out of sight, then flank the SOB. I'd make quite a large C movement around him to set back up in the direction he was headed. Then, make subtle calls, maybe purrs or super soft yelps, something like a early morning Yelp. Main thing would be to not make it sound like your looking for him, but enough to let him know a "hen" is there. If he gobbles at my calls, either shut up, or continue the calls I was making but not in response to him, almost like a hen is ignoring his presence! That should jazz him up.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 pm

One time I waited for the bird to turn the other direction he was in full strut and I ran up and shot him when he stuck his head up. It was great.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:44 pm

I like to scratch in the leaves BUT I try to always set up just over the rise so when I see him he is in easy range. If he can see too far you are just asking for him to hang up because he wants (and expects) to see a bird. Only downside is you don’t get too watch him come in but when you see him he’s dead.

One time I had an old Tom fired up but he would NOT commit. I tried everything I could think of to get him to show himself. I finally threw a ki-ki at him and he immediately committed. I’ve used it a few times since on stubborn (older) birds.

Bio1
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am

Are you talking about using a gun? If you are, I would open up my umbrella and go after the sob...... not 100 percent, but works most time....

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”