Call shy birds

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Call shy birds

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:04 am

I'm the opposite I'll find one good spot and sit the majority I the day there. I'm not if the mindset of chasing gobbling turkey's when most times your walking past silent birds that will work... Just quietly

quite birds are boring :mrgreen:

i should of said I scout for deer and shrooms wile im waiting for a tom to gobble but if there is no turkeys gobbling by a cirtin time 11-12 then im moving

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:25 am

burkhart wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
wdog wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
burkhart wrote:I'll hunt opening day all day then after that I won't hit the woods till mid morning. I think it was said before but this also gives the impatient hunters a chance to head home

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

maybe on one property, but public there's thousands of acres to hunt ....id be hurting my chances if i don't hunt mornings

That's fine if you stick it out till atleast 1 or so..it's the guys that quit at 8 or 9 that really kill there chances. I would rather hunt from 9-noon than 6-9 any day of the week.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

or you could just hunt all day :think:

I LOVE midday hunting....but there's nothing like an early morning roost hunt. to me that's the beauty of turkey hunting

perfect spring morning .....moons rising, suns coming up, you hear that first song bird sing, then you hear that barred owl and all of a sudden GOOOOBBBBLLLEE!!!!!!!!!! they fly off the roost right into your lap ! theres nothing better in my book ..if you do your home work roost hunting is very fun and productive just my opinion also

absolutely if you can swing all day hunts do it.[glow=red]But how many guys do you know hunt the first couple of hours than leave when they don't hear anything anymore.[/glow] ..Im also not above sleeping in and heading out around 8 or so once fatigue sets in from multiple 4 am wake up calls it's a great way to recharge the batteries.

yes a lot of guys leave ..... :lol:

I usually take a snooze in the woods to make up the lack of sleep :lol: then again I am young and have a lot of get up and go so not hunting all day is out of the question for me....if im not on a gobbling bird then im scouting for bow hunting or mushroom hunting...if im in turkey mode then im cover property's left and right to find a tom

I'm the opposite I'll find one good spot and sit the majority I the day there. I'm not if the mindset of chasing gobbling turkey's when most times your walking past silent birds that will work... Just quietly

I agree with that 100%patience is something I am always working on. I don't even want to admit the birds that I messed up by getting up and moving and those are just the ones I know about! You see I think alot of people just think they can find a bird that's gonna gobble and run the whole way in even when that happens that's usually your 2 year Olds. Those old boss toms are wise.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 am

well I guess we all hunt turkeys differently for different reason .....just like bucks to me age dont matter as much as the memory even if its a tiny little 2 yo up to a 4+ yo

weather its hunting them off the roost or midday I don't have a problem killing 3 toms a season
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 am

I'm getting excited myself. Picked up my trail camera over the weekend and got lots of pictures and had some good looking birds in a few. I have also seen some strutting already here in PA

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:42 pm

all you guys need is a little Tinks Dr. TOMS Turkey Scent!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:51 pm

burkhart wrote:
BigHunt wrote:all you guys need is a little Tinks Dr. TOMS Turkey Scent!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't have words that would do an insult on this product justice....

:lol: this is my secret , now you know how i kill so many toms burk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:56 pm

If turkeys could smell I heard you couldn't kill them. Lol

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:59 pm

wow..... I think I've seen it all now. That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 am

There is a great documentary called "my life as a turkey" which follows Jim Hutto as he raises a flock of wild turkey poults. Some great points about how they remember where theyve encountered danger in the past. Absolutely worth watching.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on using different types of calls on pressured birds? Ex. Birds being box call shy but you can bring them in with a wing bone call? Also, using a gobble call on call shy birds?

SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 am

Some birds are call shy I guess. But most of the time it just isn't the right time for him. We can't see him but he will answer and not come in, or he waits 60 seconds after you stiop calling before he answers, or he gobbles on his own. Most of the time there are unknown reasons he is doing all of this. I have had turkeys fly down and run the other way gobbling their brains out and we chalk it up to henned up or he's call shy. The secret to killing a turkey is getting where he wants to be and when the time is right. They fly down, shut up and we say he's call shy. Go back in three hours and hit him, he cuts you off and runs you over....call shy??? No, just doesn't have a hen with him. You have to get in the comfort zone of a turkey for things to happen. Sure there are always the Kamikaze two year olds that are a turkey hunters dream, but most old gobblers let the hen come to him. You just have to figure out where he wants to be and beat him there or kill him by shutting up and letting him ease in after the pressure gets too much for him to take. Every turkey is callable, given the right method. I don't think it's the call that kills the turkey, it's the person doing the calling.

I'll give you a story on a call shy bird. This bird roosted on the road every day, within fifty yards of a main forest service road. He was one of two points every year for four springs. Everyone that hunted the area had messed with this turkey, including me. You set up on his point between him and the road and he would fly down and go the other way gobbling every minute continuous. One morning a buddy called and said he was heading to work and asked me if was on a tom, I had two that had quit me and I was just at the truck listening. He said the turkey had done the same crap to him that morning and he had left him gobbling. I knew which point he was on so I came in from across the holler of him and got on the end. He came right out the point to me gobbling. I never said a peep. Finally I could see him strutting and hear him drumming. He came 50 yards of me and got over the side of the point out of sight. I finally made one call and I instantly heard him drumming coming back on top. He stuck just his head over the top of the point and I shot him at 25 yards. He had a 12.5" beard and 1.5" spurs. He had all kinds of old pellets in him and one broken leg that had healed back crooked. I would say he was 5-6 years old. He wasn't call shy, I just had to get to the location where he was comfortable being called at and he came right on in. Point being, I think every bird is capable of being called in, it just takes you being in the right place, on the right day, at the right time. I'm no expert on turkeys, but I find them easier to kill than big bucks.
Last edited by SEMObowhunter on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:Some birds are call I guess. But most of the time it just isn't the right time for him. We can't see him but he will answer and not come in, or he waits 60 seconds after you stiop calling before he answers, or he gobbles on his own. Most of the time there are unknown reasons he is doing all of this. I have had turkeys fly down and run the other way gobbling their brains out and we chalk it up to henned up or he's call shy. The secret to killing a turkey is getting where he wants to be and when the time is right. They fly down, shut up and we say he's call shy. Go back in three hours and hit him, he cuts you off and runs you over....call shy??? No, just doesn't have a hen with him. You have to get in the comfort zone of a turkey for things to happen. Sure there are always the Kamikaze two year olds that are a turkey hunters dream, but most old gobblers let the hen come to him. You just have to figure out where he wants to be and beat him there or kill him by shutting up and letting him ease in after the pressure gets too much for him to take. Every turkey is callable, given the right method. I don't think it's the call that kills the turkey, it's the person doing the calling.

I'll give you a story on a call shy bird. This bird roosted on the road every day, within fifty yards of a main forest service road. He was one of two points every year for four springs. Everyone that hunted the area had messed with this turkey, including me. You set up on his point between him and the road and he would fly down and go the other way gobbling every minute continuous. One morning a buddy called and said he was heading to work and asked me if was on a tom, I had two that had quit me and I was just at the truck listening. He said the turkey had done the same crap to him that morning and he had left him gobbling. I knew which point he was on so I came in from across the holler of him and got on the end. He came right out the point to me gobbling. I never said a peep. Finally I could see him strutting and hear him drumming. He came 50 yards of me and got over the side of the point out of sight. I finally made one call and I instantly heard him drumming coming back on top. He stuck just his head over the top of the point and I shot him at 25 yards. He had a 12.5" beard and 1.5" spurs. He had all kinds of old pellets in him and one broken leg that had healed back crooked. I would say he was 5-6 years old. He wasn't call shy, I just had to get to the location where he was comfortable being called at and he came right on in. Point being, I think every bird is capable of being called in, it just takes you being in the right place, on the right day, at the right time. I'm no expert on turkeys, but I find them easier to kill than big bucks.

This is a great post and I could not have expressed it any better. This post is dead on the money in my opinion after decades of calling up and killing dozens of call shy birds.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 pm

burkhart wrote:I am a gobble call supporter. For as goofy as it looks to shake that "thing" like a mad man it does get responses :)

I have also had pretty good success with gobbling.......I use the diaphragm though.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Ack wrote:
burkhart wrote:I am a gobble call supporter. For as goofy as it looks to shake that "thing" like a mad man it does get responses :)

I have also had pretty good success with gobbling.......I use the diaphragm though.

I too mess around with a gobbler call.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:05 am

On Friday we heard very few gobbles in the morning. For first season I really expected to hear more but the birds were pretty silent. But even with not being vocal they still moved around quite a bit.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:40 am

IMO birds get ppl shy , not call shy, they have been buggered a few times & then then they get that way. I usually change calls & try a different angle of approach, or give a bird a week off. Usually they will come in eventually. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”