Not calling turkeys... unethical??

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Not calling turkeys... unethical??

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:27 am

I was talking turkeys with someone the other day, and told them how I think I have a tom patterned and might even be able to just wait near his trail and take him without calling. His response was that he would never shoot a turkey he hadn't called in, because it was unethical and not sporting knowing he hadn't outsmarted the bird with his calling. I haven't heard of that before, but I know that turkey hunting has some different feelings vs. deer hunting... i.e. you can shoot a turkey first thing off the roost (deer leaving its bed) but waiting by the roost tree in the evening (waiting over a deer bed early AM) is a no-no. Some of it doesn't make sense to me, but I never really grew up with turkey mentors like I did for deer.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? I would have thought that patterning a bird by scouting travel routes was every bit as challenging as calling one in. But maybe that's just the deer hunter in me.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Not calling turkeys... unethical??

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 am

Ethics is in the eye of the beholder... I would say waiting to ambush is just as sporting, if not more so... No tricks, no calls, just plain old out smarting and out waiting him.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 am

The goal is to outsmart your quarry.

Maybe it's unethical to pretend to be a love sick hen promising all the great rewards that spring courtship has to offer only to shoot that poor bird thinking with the wrong brain.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 am

I can't really see a difference....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:25 am

That doesn't make sense to me.
Doing the work and putting in the time to place yourself in the right location to connect is important. Other wise, we should just go in completely blind and rely on our calling to lure the bird in.
To each their own, but being I. The right place attheright time is more important. Would we just give up when birds are pressured and call shy?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:29 am

If the law man is OK with it, it is OK by me. Good luck!

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:50 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I was talking turkeys with someone the other day, and told them how I think I have a tom patterned and might even be able to just wait near his trail and take him without calling. His response was that he would never shoot a turkey he hadn't called in, because it was unethical and not sporting knowing he hadn't outsmarted the bird with his calling. I haven't heard of that before, but I know that turkey hunting has some different feelings vs. deer hunting... i.e. you can shoot a turkey first thing off the roost (deer leaving its bed) but waiting by the roost tree in the evening (waiting over a deer bed early AM) is a no-no. Some of it doesn't make sense to me, but I never really grew up with turkey mentors like I did for deer.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? I would have thought that patterning a bird by scouting travel routes was every bit as challenging as calling one in. But maybe that's just the deer hunter in me.

Funny the kind of high-brow diatribe some people feel free to offer others. If it works, it works. Good luck. I suspect it's much easier to call one in than figure out regular movement. Typically what makes something sporting is how hard it is to accomplish, right? Please post the video if you get some good footage. I'd love to see it work.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 am

Calling in turkeys is as useless as trying to call in a flock of ducks most of the time.They are headed where they or the hens want to go most of the time,had more success calling in hens than toms.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 am

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:33 am

dan wrote:Ethics is in the eye of the beholder... I would say waiting to ambush is just as sporting, if not more so... No tricks, no calls, just plain old out smarting and out waiting him.

Agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:36 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I was talking turkeys with someone the other day, and told them how I think I have a tom patterned and might even be able to just wait near his trail and take him without calling. His response was that he would never shoot a turkey he hadn't called in, because it was unethical and not sporting knowing he hadn't outsmarted the bird with his calling. I haven't heard of that before, but I know that turkey hunting has some different feelings vs. deer hunting... i.e. you can shoot a turkey first thing off the roost (deer leaving its bed) but waiting by the roost tree in the evening (waiting over a deer bed early AM) is a no-no. Some of it doesn't make sense to me, but I never really grew up with turkey mentors like I did for deer.

I honestly think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard..........lot of guys also think its unethical to kill a buck that close to there beds :think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:42 am

No call for me this year. Still got my Tom. Get them any way you want a long as it's legal!

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 am

muddy wrote:The goal is to outsmart your quarry.

Maybe it's unethical to pretend to be a love sick hen promising all the great rewards that spring courtship has to offer only to shoot that poor bird thinking with the wrong brain.

x2
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 am

:lol: unethical? No way. It is you, your two feet and your weapon vs. a wild free range gobbler and his keen senses.

There are a lot of people who think hunting any way besides their way (or the TV way) is unethical.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:24 am

Yea, just do what you are comfortable with. Don't waste your breath around the ethics nazis its just another faith based argument :lol:

Taking that a step further, a lot of guys would not jump shoot a turkey but that is how I have filled several tags over the years on call shy toms that I got tired of trying to ambush. If you sneak as close as possible in thick cover then approach quickly they often try to stay concealed then flush at close range. Bang.

Turkeys are a nice slow target when taking off, easier to get a nice clean head and neck shot on them than most upland birds.

To get the ethics naxis really riled up...tell them you shot a turkey out of a tree. I and my brother once had this old wary bird we just could not call, ambush, or anything. BUT he liked to sit in trees during legal shooting hours :L:

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”