Todays hunt...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Todays hunt...

Unread postby dan » Sat May 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I did a lot of run and gun hunts today. As many of you know, I like to teach hunting... And today I did a good job and taught a lot of turkeys some good lessons. When it got down to the last few hours of the day and there were no more easy looking birds around I decided to set up on a public land treeline in an open grass area where I glassed a big Tom go thru the last couple nights... It was a boring, tick infested, mosquito swarming, try to stay awake good time. Nothing moved within the time frame I was seeing him, but I thought I heard some hen clucking further back. The parking lot was empty, so I thought their might be something back there so I wandered back slow along the private land border peeking into the fields to see if any gobble gobbles were hanging around waiting to get shot.

Suddenly I was startled by a gun shot from about 75 yards away on the private. Then another, and another... Then I saw a turkey fly up out of some brush and heard another shot and you could tell it hit the bird but did not stop it... I heard some scrambling, then a bunch more shooting. Then one last shot on the edge of the public. About 7 or 8 shots in all.. I was hunting with Rick filming me and we walked over to talk to the guy, see if he needed a hand or to congratulate him. But he was gone. Not sure how he could of left that fast cause he would of had to cross a big field, but he was indeed gone...

As we walked back to the truck, the turkey I was after spooked, yep! He was walking right down the trail we were set up on. Just another turkeyless day on the public land... Maybe tomorrow I will get a shot.

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: Todays hunt...

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat May 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Good luck, I’ll be out on the public in NY 8-)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Eventful, just birdless. New day tomorrow! I sense you’ll have success
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
First Sit

Unread postby First Sit » Sun May 26, 2019 2:06 am

How's the gobbling activity in your area of wis?

I was hunting across the pond on Michigan public earlier week and it was tough to strike up a bird after the first few hours of the morning. Most mornings they only gobbled a few times on roost and immediately after fly down. I did still observe some Tom's with hens but other Tom's were
Starting to group back up with other Tom's and Jake's as well.

Good luck still some time left and it's not over till the season ends.
The Stumbler

Unread postby The Stumbler » Sun May 26, 2019 8:05 pm

We have had an extremely wet and cooler than normal stretch here in the North East . Toms have been reluctant to gobble , and lately they seem non existent in the woods. I know of a hard core Turkey Hunter, hunting on multiple private properties in a great area that has not killed one yet. I missed one at 20 paces........ ( how do you miss a turkey with a shotgun ! ). Between the wind and the rain I heard a roost gobble last night and I"m heading out shortly . Good luck Gents !
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 am

Been pretty tough... A lot of the gobblers do not seem to be interested in breeding anymore. Getting in front of them and cutting them off, pushing them to a waiting hunter and sneaking up on them seem to be the best tactics right now...

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”