Fying with guns and Florida Osceolas

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jvaughn415

Fying with guns and Florida Osceolas

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 am

Happy Tuesday. I am planning a trip to Florida next month chasing osceolas. I have never flown with a gun and have never hunted turkeys in Florida. Hoping you guys would have some insight on this. Ive done some research and scouted some public land outside of Orlando south of Cape Canaveral, there looks to be 3 big pieces of public there and I dont believe they require a quota permit. Trying to stay within an hour or 2 of the airport and keep costs down as it's only going to be a 2 day trip. Any help at all would be awesome.

Perception is reality
Racks&Beards

Re: Fying with guns and Florida Osceolas

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:40 am

I can't comment on the turkey hunting in FL, but I have flown with a gun multiple times. Basically you're gonna want to have the gun in a hard sided case that you can lock up. Since it's a long gun I'd strongly recommend a quality case like Pelican or something. When I pack up the gun in the case, it's empty of course and I like to put one of those cable locks through the open action so that the attendant at the counter can visible see it's unloaded. For the ammunition, I will put it into the factory box(s) that it came in (kept in the same case as the firearm). As for the lock(s) on the case itself, thats up to you...but DO NOT use TSA locks. I personally just use some quality Master Locks. I keep one set of keys on my keychain and the other set in my carry on.

To check your firearm you'll just go to the airline counter and declare a checked firearm. They will make you open it to verify it's unloaded and "packed" properly. You will sign a little slip and then they will slap a sticker on your case and you're good to go. Now this varies from airport to airport, but when you get to your destination you may need to go to a special room to pick it up. I forget what the room is called but it's usually right there near the baggage claim.

In the end, I'd highly suggest looking at your airlines website for the rules and regs about traveling with a firearm. Some airlines might possibly require something different.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:07 am

My buddy Dave Owens has a couple of videos for just what you're asking about.

Flying With Guns:
https://youtu.be/WPfiJWPbnHQ

Hunting Florida:
https://youtu.be/TcheszSLjxY
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
jvaughn415

Unread postby jvaughn415 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

simpzenith wrote:My buddy Dave Owens has a couple of videos for just what you're asking about.

Flying With Guns:
https://youtu.be/WPfiJWPbnHQ

Hunting Florida:
https://youtu.be/TcheszSLjxY

Hey man I was just watching your Turkey archive hunts the past few days ! I've been watching your stuff for 2 years and Dave Owens is my hero ha. Thanks for linking those videos, those are exactly what I was looking for. Cant believe I havent stumbled upon those 2 videos yet watching Dave. Wanna let you know I really appreciate your content and learn alot from you.
Perception is reality
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:17 pm

jvaughn415 wrote:Hey man I was just watching your Turkey archive hunts the past few days ! I've been watching your stuff for 2 years and Dave Owens is my hero ha. Thanks for linking those videos, those are exactly what I was looking for. Cant believe I havent stumbled upon those 2 videos yet watching Dave. Wanna let you know I really appreciate your content and learn alot from you.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Dave posts a lot of videos to his channel so it's easy to miss one. :lol:
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:50 am

jvaughn415 wrote:Happy Tuesday. I am planning a trip to Florida next month chasing osceolas. I have never flown with a gun and have never hunted turkeys in Florida. Hoping you guys would have some insight on this. Ive done some research and scouted some public land outside of Orlando south of Cape Canaveral, there looks to be 3 big pieces of public there and I dont believe they require a quota permit. Trying to stay within an hour or 2 of the airport and keep costs down as it's only going to be a 2 day trip. Any help at all would be awesome.

You lucked out. Rule change this year, those WMAs you can now hunt all day. I grew up hunting those areas send me a PM if you want.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 am

Make sure you do NOT stop or have a layover in gun unfriendly states like NY, NJ, MD or MA... Regardless of the protections that the National Firearms Act gives you to travel, it is the policy of these states to arrest you, charge you, and allow you to raise NFA at trial as an affirmative defense. Do NOT stop in those states, under any conditions, for any reason. Pay more if you have to and avoid them.

2nd point - make sure you are allowed to possess the firearm in your destination state. I think FL is pretty 2A friendly, but check their laws just to be safe. They may have travel restrictions, or weapon restrictions for unlicensed, non-residents, etc. No handguns, no semi-autos or whatever. No concealed carry, etc. Can only possess what you're allowed to hunt with as a licensed nonresident, etc. Look into it. You don't want to get jammed up just because your ammo was stored with the shotgun... That kind of stupid stuff.

NFA lets you "travel" but you can't "stop". As soon as you do you need to be 100% compliant with the laws in the state where you "stop". When I say stop - I mean don't even stop for gas. Nevermind spending the night.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am

I flew to FL last month on Southwest with my M&P Shield in .45 and a box of ammo. It was a non-event.

No firearm checks to verify that it was unloaded. Just fill out the card and the customer service rep taped it to the lock box. No permit to posses but a permit is required to CCW.

I put a chamber flag in the weapon to make it easy to demonstrate that it is unloaded if asked.

If you get diverted to a state that you cannot poses the firearm go find an airline representative and tell them that you cannot take possession of that piece of luggage and have them hold it for you.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”