Haven't been turkey hunting in twenty years, need some help.

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Haven't been turkey hunting in twenty years, need some help.

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:35 am

DhD wrote:No gobbles for about an hour now, just hung a cell cam, now I'm going for a walk. Not gonna lie, the gobbling in the morning is pretty exciting!

Agreed. The anticipation of where he might go is pretty cool.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
FareChase
Facebook: None

Unread postby FareChase » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Hang in there DhD, sounds like you’re on the right track! Those birds gobbling on the roost can be easily and quickly killed in the first 45 minutes of daylight if everything goes just right. BUT if it doesn’t happen and when the gobbling stops those toms are with hens and a usually stay with them until 10:00-11:00. Pay attention to the direction they go and if possible move with them keeping your distance. This is not the time to call because we humans can’t compete against the real thing (hens). After 10:30 or so, making several load yelps every 20-30 minutes (listening very closely) might get you a gobble but don’t call and walk, call and sit. Toms at times have a tendency to travel quietly and will spot you way before you see him.

You’re doing better than most, keep those early morning yelps soft and sweet. You’re day is coming!

Look forward to hearing all about it when it happens...
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 am

Was not able to get out this morning due to more vehicle issues, but I'm headed out this evening to try and score a bird. I'll try and keep y'all updated!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:15 am

DhD wrote:Was not able to get out this morning due to more vehicle issues, but I'm headed out this evening to try and score a bird. I'll try and keep y'all updated!

Good luck man!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:53 pm

Ack wrote:I’ll be honest with you....cyber scouting for turkeys isn’t going to be easy....could be feast or famine. Where you might find them one year could be completely devoid of birds the following year. They just aren’t as predictable as deer when relating to certain terrain and cover.....especially in large tracts of public where pressure may be a factor.

Just a quick glance at an aerial of eastern Nebraska shows me a lot of broken up woodlots with ag scattered about, which I my opinion is perfect turkey habitat.

You’re time is going to be best spent following Lou’s suggestion....locate actual groups of birds, listen for gobblers at daybreak, and make a plan to get yourself in front of them. Don’t feel like you need to rush right in to a roost on the first morning. Observe, take note of movement patterns and make a plan of attack, just like you would on a bedded buck.

agreed with ack
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Couple things I have learned. Figuring out what to do after the first few hours in the morning is an issue, I have no idea how long to wait in a spot. I had some birds gobbling on the public private border this morning, but just before they came off the roost a couple hens started yelping on the private side and they went that way. Cool spot, had a hen almost land on my decoy a little later in the day.

After the initial morning setup I'm really just guessing. How do you locate birds mid day? Do you use a turkey call or a locator call when looking for birds after 9 am? Here's one of today's setups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:09 pm

DhD wrote:Couple things I have learned. Figuring out what to do after the first few hours in the morning is an issue, I have no idea how long to wait in a spot. I had some birds gobbling on the public private border this morning, but just before they came off the roost a couple hens started yelping on the private side and they went that way. Cool spot, had a hen almost land on my decoy a little later in the day.

After the initial morning setup I'm really just guessing. How do you locate birds mid day? Do you use a turkey call or a locator call when looking for birds after 9 am? Here's one of today's setups.

Most definitely. Some guys squawk at those who locate with turkey calls, but I find it the most effective way personally. Also, if you happen to find dusting areas, those are great spots to sit during late morning into the afternoon.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:13 pm

Ack wrote:
DhD wrote:Couple things I have learned. Figuring out what to do after the first few hours in the morning is an issue, I have no idea how long to wait in a spot. I had some birds gobbling on the public private border this morning, but just before they came off the roost a couple hens started yelping on the private side and they went that way. Cool spot, had a hen almost land on my decoy a little later in the day.

Most definitely. Some guys squawk at those who locate with turkey calls, but I find it the most effective way personally. Also, if you happen to find dusting areas, those are great spots to sit during late morning into the afternoon.

What are dusting areas and how/why are they used?
----------
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:24 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Ack wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about this.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:50 pm

DhD wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Ack wrote:

Dusting areas are bare ground areas, typically in sand or light soil. You will find small “craters” (12-14” diameter or so) in the sand left from the birds dusting themselves. And here is how those dust bowls are made.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GW5gne2_N1s

This has been one of my favorite spots to hunt during the afternoon over the years....always lots of action.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:13 am

Ack wrote:
DhD wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Ack wrote:

Dusting areas are bare ground areas, typically in sand or light soil. You will find small “craters” (12-14” diameter or so) in the sand left from the birds dusting themselves. And here is how those dust bowls are made.....

This has been one of my favorite spots to hunt during the afternoon over the years....always lots of action.

What zany little bird brains.

That’s pretty cool and never seen it before. I imagine that draws the toms in like magnets. Thanks Ack!
----------
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:04 am

Ack wrote:
DhD wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Ack wrote:

I saw one of these yesterday and wondered what it was. I did not mark it, but I know the general area well enough to find it again.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon May 04, 2020 3:40 am

Ack wrote:

Would this be one of those dusting areas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon May 04, 2020 6:07 pm

DhD wrote:
Ack wrote:

Would this be one of those dusting areas?

Looks like it
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue May 05, 2020 12:18 am

There are several of these on a quarter section that I hunt, I had always wondered what they were. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”