Scope or red dot worth it?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Scope or red dot worth it?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 02, 2020 5:21 pm

loganB85 wrote:I had that debate a couple months before gobbler season started and ultimately make the transition to a Red dot on my benelli. I went with burris speed bead mount and a vortex venom. This way of mounting the red dot allowed me to co-witness the dot with my factory bead.(dot covers front bead completely) If the red dot malfunctions due to dead battery or whatever I still have a bead and don’t have to make any cheek weld adjustments. I really liked the red dot for the fact once you sight in the dot is where your pattern is going. If you have to take an awkward shot and can’t get a good cheek weld, or having to make a really quick shot on a bird that came in quiet. It gives you an advantage over a traditional bead or a magnified optic. You also can shoot with both eyes open which gives you much better depth perception. That’s how I feel about RDS on a turkey gun. I’m happy I made the upgrade.

*speed bead mounts will not work on Mossberg because of their tang safety*

That’s awesome.

I just pulled the trigger on an optional Weaver mount for my CZ 612 Magnum Waterfowl (the waterfowl model is drilled for it, while the turkey gun had it installed from the factory) and got the same red dot you did.

Looking forward to it! Thanks for all the advice.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat May 02, 2020 11:12 pm

loganB85 wrote:I had that debate a couple months before gobbler season started and ultimately make the transition to a Red dot on my benelli. I went with burris speed bead mount and a vortex venom. This way of mounting the red dot allowed me to co-witness the dot with my factory bead.(dot covers front bead completely) If the red dot malfunctions due to dead battery or whatever I still have a bead and don’t have to make any cheek weld adjustments. I really liked the red dot for the fact once you sight in the dot is where your pattern is going. If you have to take an awkward shot and can’t get a good cheek weld, or having to make a really quick shot on a bird that came in quiet. It gives you an advantage over a traditional bead or a magnified optic. You also can shoot with both eyes open which gives you much better depth perception. That’s how I feel about RDS on a turkey gun. I’m happy I made the upgrade.

How much something like that cost? Not sure I want it on my Benelli but my old beater 12 it might be nice.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
loganB85
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7

Unread postby loganB85 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:07 am

muddy wrote:

How much something like that cost? Not sure I want it on my Benelli but my old beater 12 it might be nice.

I forgot to add I also had to buy a shim to get my dot low enough. I got the dot low enough but ended up maxing out the elevation on the Venom. The 1 degree shim from UM Tactical I got made it much better. I was worried with my Venom maxed out then holding zero after some 3 1/2” shells could be a possible problem.

All in all I spent around $320 for that optic setup. I did have a hard time finding the burris mount for the supernova as well (Discontinued?) and had to order Ebay to get it.

Vortex Venom $230
Burris speed bead mount $70-$80
UM tactical shim $10
~L.B.C~
loganB85
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7

Unread postby loganB85 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:

That’s awesome.

I just pulled the trigger on an optional Weaver mount for my CZ 612 Magnum Waterfowl (the waterfowl model is drilled for it, while the turkey gun had it installed from the factory) and got the same red dot you did.

Looking forward to it! Thanks for all the advice.

I got the 3 MOA model and I really like it. I can’t comment on durability yet because of just 1 season using it. I hear their customer service is top notch if there ever was a problem. If I had a higher end shotgun I would have went with a Trijicon RMR over the Vortex. They are nice but go for $400-$500 and without mount. My gun was $600 brand new in 2009, I didn’t want to spend almost as much for the optic as I did for a gun.
~L.B.C~
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:13 am

Yes - I love my vortex sparc red dot. Have not looked back...

Also, lost both lens caps covers on my first turkey hunt with it. Called Vortex to purchase replacements and they said 'it's covered under your VIP warranty' and sent me two replacements and covered shipping costs. I did put a dab of super glue on the replacements.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”