Whats in your pockets?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Whats in your pockets?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 am

Box call is all a new turkey hunter should need or be using imo.

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 am

Personally, i love the diaphram calls. I like the hands free aspect, and the fact that i can really manipulate them to make many different sounds, tones, volume, etc. But they aren't for everyone, I know some people who just cant figure out how to use them. I don't carry any locator calls. Just use my mouth to mimic an owl or crow from time to time. As someone else pointed out, sometimes they will shock gobble at anything. I've heard them gobble after train horns, cattle mooing, and car doors slamming.

One tip i can give that i've learned is to wait and listen to the birds before you start calling. I really just try to mimic them. If the hens are really going nuts, then i call a little more aggressively. If they're not really talkative, then i tone it back. Don't be afraid to try stuff even if its goofy. I started out turkey hunting knowing absolutely nothing, but through years of trial and error i learned a lot just by listening to the birds, imitating them, and trying new stuff.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:28 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Box call is all a new turkey hunter should need or be using imo.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”