Live from the Field 2021

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: Live from the Field 2021

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu May 06, 2021 12:15 am

I killed two more this past weekend.
Saturday, 5/1, I got lucky and called one in during a blind calling sequence that never made a peep. Opening day in Pennsylvania was tough this year due to the wind and cold.

Sunday, 5/2, I tagged out in WV with a perfect off the roost hunt. He gobbled like a champ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu May 06, 2021 12:25 am

Congrats southpaw :clap:
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu May 06, 2021 12:53 am

Nice birds guys!
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri May 07, 2021 6:43 am

Congrats guys! Heck of a season southpaw!

My season ended last Saturday. Probably could've pushed harder for #3 but bird numbers are hurting so bad that it really wasn't worth it. Thought I'd an out of state trip but work is a mess and think I'll save the time for now.

Good luck to everyone that is still going strong!
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am

Hunted public the first week in southern Ohio and it was tough, the I came home and missed one on a little piece (field birds blow my range ability)

Redeemed myself today with a double beard but rotted beard unfortunately
3CABC20F-8618-4A98-87FE-2EDE686A94AF.jpeg

12EA39ED-2932-4A0A-AE5E-A10C6BC7DD6E.jpeg

DA2A9AD7-73C7-44AC-BB5F-E4DF7EC8A215.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 am

Congrats bigredneck! Looks like a good bird just unfortunate about the beard.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks, not sure if I’ll buy my second tag, or run to the camp in pa for one! I love them big woods hemlock birds!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 15, 2021 4:55 am

Well, let's interrupt this kill thread with a fail.

I went to a new place. Wasn't seeing much sign, but there was a area of interest. Got there and chilled for a while. Gobble. In business.

I called to him via mouth call. Immediate answer. I waited a while and he gobbled on his own. I let him do it again and scratched some leaves. Waited, then called soft. Then I heard spitting and drumming for the first time ever, as this is my second turkey season ever. I could hear him coming and saw some branches moving in front of my hide. I needed him to go 4 more feet and I would have had a super close shot, but he putted and started moving off. He didn't see me.

So I called again softly and he immediately spit and drummed again. Then I saw him from behind a tree. I needed him to move a little bit more, he did so I put the dot on him... And missed.

My blunders were having too good of a hide by having a downed log in my way, then not accounting for how much lower my barrel was in relation to the sight. Carved a trench in the log and no turkey.

Not a great feeling right now.

1421 (1).jpg

PS - Just remembered something quasi-amusing. The tom was coming in and close, but a fox squirrel crawled up that downed log and sat there staring at me from the exact spot my trench was for like 20 seconds. I was worried he was going to screw it up, but he moved and then I screwed it up on my own. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:22 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Well, let's interrupt this kill thread with a fail.

I went to a new place. Wasn't seeing much sign, but there was a area of interest. Got there and chilled for a while. Gobble. In business.

I called to him via mouth call. Immediate answer. I waited a while and he gobbled on his own. I let him do it again and scratched some leaves. Waited, then called soft. Then I heard spitting and drumming for the first time ever, as this is my second turkey season ever. I could hear him coming and saw some branches moving in front of my hide. I needed him to go 4 more feet and I would have had a super close shot, but he putted and started moving off. He didn't see me.

So I called again softly and he immediately spit and drummed again. Then I saw him from behind a tree. I needed him to move a little bit more, he did so I put the dot on him... And missed.

My blunders were having too good of a hide by having a downed log in my way, then not accounting for how much lower my barrel was in relation to the sight. Carved a trench in the log and no turkey.

1421 (1).jpg

PS - Just remembered something quasi-amusing. The tom was coming in and close, but a fox squirrel crawled up that downed log and sat there staring at me from the exact spot my trench was for like 20 seconds. I was worried he was going to screw it up, but he moved and then I screwed it up on my own. :lol:

:doh: lol good luck dave
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sat May 15, 2021 12:54 pm

1421 (1).jpg

Punch to the gut. Sorry to hear that. You’ll get him next time.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 pm

Sounds like an awesome hunt Dave! That coming in and out of strut, spitting and drumming, and searching for a hen is why we do it. Bet the heart was pumping! Maybe the next one ends with a flopping bird. Good luck!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 15, 2021 2:11 pm

thwack16 wrote:Sounds like an awesome hunt Dave! That coming in and out of strut, spitting and drumming, and searching for a hen is why we do it. Bet the heart was pumping! Maybe the next one ends with a flopping bird. Good luck!

Thanks.

Yeah, it was cool for sure. I couldn't believe I missed as I had patterned my gun a few days ago and it should have been perfect for that distance, then I saw the log. :? :lol: I should have just tried waiting him out a little more to have him present more of his body, but I was worried he wasn't going to stick around much longer since he putted earlier. He started coming up the rise and then went back down. My shot angle over the log would have been better if he came up. Oh well. Hopefully can get on another one tomorrow and set up better.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 am

I killed this one last week in AR, my first public land bird, and first bird in 12 seasons. I was going to go on a couple out of state trips, but unfortunately I couldn't make that happen this year. But next year I will!
20210506_061009.jpg
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun May 16, 2021 8:22 am

1421 (1).jpg

That sounds like a great hunt.

It might have been a curiosity cluck instead of a putt. I have had a few Toms make a sound that is similar to a put when they are looking for the hen they heard.

If you can them their body language will be different between a putt and a curiosity cluck.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun May 16, 2021 8:27 am

Here are a few birds I had a part in this season.
2 are mine and one I called in for my brother in law.
E64496F1-5BA3-48CC-8B3B-5CC77B0D0E22.jpeg
C3537BF9-7FFF-4D64-B48A-58081E14E5BA.jpeg
02571668-93AA-4D7B-A589-ACA8605644EF.jpeg

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”