Hearing Things The Wrong Direction

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

aaronmill13

Hearing Things The Wrong Direction

Unread postby aaronmill13 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:23 am

I'm only 23 and don't have any hearing loss, but I've always struggled with picking out the direction I hear things like far off gobbles or gunshots when I'm in the woods. I'll literally think something is the opposite direction from where it actually is and I only know otherwise because of the person I'm hunting with. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with this and if you found anything that helped? It's really just more frustrating than it is actually a problem for now, but at some point I'm sure it'll come back to bite me.

Yesterday you said tomorrow. GATA
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Hearing Things The Wrong Direction

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat May 01, 2021 8:11 am

Might want to get you hearing checked if you haven't already. I had lots of hearing issues over the years and am currently running prosthetics in both sides. A couple of time I had one good ear and one bad one. That was the worst because I couldn't tell which way noises were coming from. I have two good ears now and if I'm turkey or goose hunting I wear those electronic ear muffs so I don't blow my ears out. On the ones I have they actually amplify sound when they are not blocking out a gunshot and I can hear directionally very well with them. I also have the ability to adjust the volume in each ear so if one ear worked better than the other I can adjust them to be balanced out. Might be worth considering for you.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat May 01, 2021 8:20 am

aaronmill13 wrote:I'm only 23 and don't have any hearing loss, but I've always struggled with picking out the direction I hear things like far off gobbles or gunshots when I'm in the woods. I'll literally think something is the opposite direction from where it actually is and I only know otherwise because of the person I'm hunting with. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with this and if you found anything that helped? It's really just more frustrating than it is actually a problem for now, but at some point I'm sure it'll come back to bite me.

Maybe just walk 180 degrees opposite of where you think the gobble came from.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sat May 01, 2021 8:21 am

Quite common to not be able to determine what direction single gunshot comes from, a second shot you can always pinpoint it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat May 01, 2021 11:10 am

Gobbles can be tough man. Do you wear a face net that covers your ears? This is something I am pretty particular about. It can definitely mess with getting a clear direction on faint, far off sounds.

But it can be tricky anyways. It really is apparent when you know exactly where the bird is that is gobbling and sometimes his gobbles sound further or from a different direction as he turns and gobbles different ways...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 am

What? :shifty:

I struggle to hear much of anything these days. The direction feature sailed many years ago. :lol:

Always thought about trying those Walkers Game Ears. Kinda pricey but built for hunting.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun May 02, 2021 12:08 am

Can be hard to pinpoint sounds. Maybe you hear multiple gobblers in different directions? Or high pressure areas different people shooting? I don't have any experience with it but something like the walker game ear might help.
K2001

Unread postby K2001 » Sun May 02, 2021 3:01 am

Don't worry, my brother and I have the same problem. Quite often when we hear the first gobble from a turkey we won't know where's its from. Numerous times we point to opposite directions. Which is always pretty funny. But usaully all it takes is one more gobble and we can pin point it.
aaronmill13

Unread postby aaronmill13 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 pm

K2001 wrote:Don't worry, my brother and I have the same problem. Quite often when we hear the first gobble from a turkey we won't know where's its from. Numerous times we point to opposite directions. Which is always pretty funny. But usaully all it takes is one more gobble and we can pin point it.

Thats pretty much exactly how I am too. Once i hear a second of whatever it is I can pretty much pinpoint where it was. I'm glad I'm not the only one lol
Yesterday you said tomorrow. GATA
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon May 03, 2021 11:05 pm

Happens to me but usually when I’m moving or unfocused. I’ve heard deer grunt on stand and think did I really just hear that. Being well rested makes me more alert
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:46 pm

I’ve had this happen to me as well. I think another thing that comes into play is the terrain and wind. I thing if something is actually wrong you would know it without question.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm

turkeys will gobble facing different directions, throw in some hills & its tough to pin point exactly where they are. I think we all struggle w it to some degree. I wouldnt worry about to much. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”