Why?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
Dewey

Re: Why?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 am

About 10 years ago I put turkey hunting on the back burner. Right now it doesn’t interest me much anymore so I would much rather use that time off of work instead the rest of the year for bow hunting, musky fishing and going on vacation with my wife. A guy only has so much vacation time each year and those are my priorities right now.

I usually wrap up my winter/spring scouting in early April so that’s my time now to finally take a break and do something else. When I retire and have unlimited free time I’m sure I will get back into turkey hunting at some point. I do carry a fall turkey tag each year but don’t specifically target them. Just nice to have that option if I happen upon one while bowhunting deer. Happens quite often.

Funny thing is when I still did turkey hunt it usually just turned into a deer scouting mission. If I get on big buck sign forget it my turkey hunt was done. Hard to get bucks off my mind so I’m easily distracted. :lol:

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 pm

I'd rather look for sheds, go scouting, go steelhead fishing, paddlefishing in Montana, spring bear hunting. Birds never really did anything for me, personally. That's the great thing about being a sportsman, its an individual things and everyone is free to pursue their own passions.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Oh my ! Now you touched my buzz button, Dan. Yes. I am addicted to turkey hunting. Its the thrill of the gobble and locating gobblers that sound off from a distance !!!! :shock:

I could go on and on about all my reasons but here are my top few:

1. Have you ever elk hunted ? Turkey hunting and elk hunting are quite similar in that you call to/ listen for the animal/bird and go to him. You interact with him. The closer you get the more the adrenalin goes up !! I shot an elk with the bow that I called in back in the 1990's and as far as turkey, I've pretty much shot one a year since April of 1991 (37 in my log book so far). I don't think I will ever tire of turkey hunting. All have been with a shotgun. I don't think I could "listen" to a buck and go to him.

2. Hunter pressure is spread out (at least in Wisconsin). If you have hunted opening day of Wisconsin gun deer season, you know what I mean. I don't like crowds. On any given turkey hunting day, there can be only 20 % of the hunters who have a tag, out there with you (legally). ( Bow hunting deer is a long spread out season, also. Also appealing)

3. Its much warmer during turkey hunting.

4. Stalking and crawling.... Over the past decade or so I have done more spotting and stalking. Much easier to do on gobblers than bucks (In my opinion). This is very thrilling !

These are some of my top reasons. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love bow hunting whitetails in Wisconsin. Gun deer hunting has been more of a tradition so I continue to do it but see item # 2 above.

Over the years, my passion and excitement have brought at least 5 new hunters into the sport of turkey hunting. Each year I only usually get one or 2 tags myself but I plan to take others out on their hunts. (Back in the 1990's a friend and I would hunt Wis, Iowa and Minnesota each year). I get just as much adrenaline and satisfaction sitting next to someone who shoots a gobbler as if I did it myself. As you, Dan, have often said.....Its not about the kill, its about the adventure and how you get there !! We just finished my sons week , yesterday. He didnt fill his tag but MAN ! , we had some wild, heart pumping action !

Hope I answered your question as to "why" ....

strut
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu May 13, 2021 2:10 pm

I turkey hunt every spring always run and gun style.. it's fun and I do enjoy it, but never do it in the fall. Bear hunting and trapping are my true passions, whitetails aren't far behind. So if it was only a fall season I don't think I'd do it. I guess it's more of a something to hunt at the time of the year type of thing.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri May 14, 2021 11:22 am

Because they are so responsive to calling......
Duh!
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:03 pm

I like to run and gun big pieces, turkey hunting small areas is not as fun to me. I prefer deer more but with turkeys you can get in the game easily if you hear them without prior scouting

I think I’d really like spring bear hunting but not an option in Ohio haha
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat May 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Turkey hunting is generally unpredictable. "Weird stuff" always happens and that's what makes the best memories. That and they taste phenomenal.

20210514_223936.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun May 16, 2021 5:36 am

muddy wrote:Turkey hunting is generally unpredictable. "Weird stuff" always happens and that's what makes the best memories. That and they taste phenomenal.

20210514_223936.jpg

Some people think I'm weird for enjoying the taste of wild turkey
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:38 am

I like it a lot, but deer hunting is what gets me amped up. I turkey hunt because its usually nice weather, and a good time to scout for deer. I mark a ton of places in the spring that I come back and check in the fall. I actually found a spot this spring while working a bird that I fully plan to hunt this fall in early season if there is a good acorn crop in that area
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun May 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Turkey hunting to me falls in line behind bow hunting, gun deer hunting, pheasant hunting, then small game. Its basically just an excuse and get out and hunt in the spring before the real deal comes in the fall to me. I just cant get all that enthused about a 2 inch longer beard or spurs when compared to a Bucks rack or Pheasants waiting to bust out in front of a beautiful gun dog on point, pales in comparison for me.

But I enjoy it enough to pick up a single tag every year and go out a couple times in whichever week i get.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:35 pm

The thrill of the chase for sure. Most days it is silence and no sightings but once in a while it all comes together fast!

So many things to like.

The weather is warmer
Strategy
Run and gun
Deer scouting at the same time
I enjoy eating them

Probably the biggest one is honing your skills in the woods.

Zach from THP was saying on a recent podcast, it definitely sharpens your woodsmanship skills as much as anything. Map reading and trying to figure out where they want to be and how they use the terrain to get there. Knowing when to move and when to sit. Adjusting when they come in different than you planned. Spotting them. Stalking them. As with any game, learning to temper your excitement and make a good shot.

I can’t think of a reason to not turkey hunt? I’m addicted! :D
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I'd rather look for sheds, go scouting, go steelhead fishing, paddlefishing in Montana, spring bear hunting. Birds never really did anything for me, personally. That's the great thing about being a sportsman, its an individual things and everyone is free to pursue their own passions.

I concur, birds don’t do much to pique my interest. Out of all bird hunting, I seem to like dove hunting the best as a way of kicking off the fall hunting season, then I prefer a late season duck hunting with some friends if I’ve gotten a nice buck and want a change of scenery from the grind of deer hunting. Turkey hunting is on the bottom of my birds I’m interested in.

I’ve only got so much spare time and scouting for deer or sheds tops any interest I’d have at turkey. Also I will try to get a cooler full of largemouth or crappie in the spring over a turkey.

IMO turkey sucks, it’s the only meat that is so garbage it needs to imitate other meat. Turkey lunch meat is tolerable but it’s still behind ham chicken or even a PBJ. Chicken is a way better tasting bird. Fried chicken is better than fried turkey. I can’t get into turkey hunting, if I really liked turkey like that I’d eat turkey a few times a week. I do however, eat deer meat a few times a week throughout the year.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:I'd rather look for sheds, go scouting, go steelhead fishing, paddlefishing in Montana, spring bear hunting. Birds never really did anything for me, personally. That's the great thing about being a sportsman, its an individual things and everyone is free to pursue their own passions.

I concur, birds don’t do much to pique my interest. Out of all bird hunting, I seem to like dove hunting the best as a way of kicking off the fall hunting season, then I prefer a late season duck hunting with some friends if I’ve gotten a nice buck and want a change of scenery from the grind of deer hunting. Turkey hunting is on the bottom of my birds I’m interested in.

I’ve only got so much spare time and scouting for deer or sheds tops any interest I’d have at turkey. Also I will try to get a cooler full of largemouth or crappie in the spring over a turkey.

IMO turkey sucks, it’s the only meat that is so garbage it needs to imitate other meat. Turkey lunch meat is tolerable but it’s still behind ham chicken or even a PBJ. Chicken is a way better tasting bird. Fried chicken is better than fried turkey. I can’t get into turkey hunting, if I really liked turkey like that I’d eat turkey a few times a week. I do however, eat deer meat a few times a week throughout the year.

I'd bet you $100 I could make 2 recipe's that would change your tune on wild turkey.

I used to absolutely despise wild turkey meat. Was always super dry and bland, but the past few years I've come to realize that you get out what you put in on a great many things... turkey meat in that category.

My "turkey bombs" are so good that I've had every single person I've served them to say "there is NO WAY this is wild meat". That takes care of the dry white meat.

My honey turkey carnitas will blow your mind. I've always considered turkey thighs and drumsticks to be dog food.. in the past few years I've found a recipe that is flipping stupid amazing.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 am

I may skip turkey hunting altogether after the last few days I've had...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:46 am

Its fun to hunt with less stress about wind and its fun to hear them gobble. I also like seeing my kids faces light up when I take them out to roost birds. Nothing beats a bird gobbling the whole way to 10 steps away from your gun barrel. Most of all I like being out in nature.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”