Why?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Why?

Unread postby dan » Wed May 12, 2021 11:40 pm

What does turkey hunting mean to you? and why do you do it? For me, I don't have near the passion in it as I do deer or bear hunting... It started out with a lot of passion. And when my kids were young and turkey hunting was a family affair it was really something I looked forward to. But hunting turkeys alone is not the same as chasing whitetaiös alone... I see some people who really seem to love turkey hunting, some who can take it or leave it, and some like myself who enjoy it at a moderate level. Where you at? I actually prefer run and gun style, even though it usually means less success

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Why?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 pm

This is only my second year trying it, but I like the way the hunts develop... could be anywhere at anytime. Getting on a bird can be a challenge at times, but there’s an interaction with the bird and challenge to pull it off without getting busted. Every time is different for me, but I don’t hunt out of blinds either.

As far as passion, I have a few tags the rest of the season, but I am actually hunting less taking fewer days off this year to bank more vacation for deer. I like it, but as number 2. Like it more than fishing.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm

I like turkey hunting because of the interaction. I love to hear the gobbling. I don't know if I would say I like turkey hunting more or not, but I will say I seem to be better at it.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu May 13, 2021 12:04 am

Its my escape. My time to be in woods, where I would really want to be instead at work. Push through summer and looking for signs that deer season is getting closer.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu May 13, 2021 12:10 am

The more I turkey hunt, the more I seem to enjoy it. I like the sounds of the woods come alive in the morning. The spring time foliage popping up. I really like the gobbling in the distance. I like moving around from property to property covering a lot of ground.

When starting out I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. But I'm glad I was wrong. I've only been hunting a few seasons and this one was clearly the most exciting and the most successful. I know I'll never love it like whitetail hunting but it's surely something I will look forward to every year.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu May 13, 2021 12:43 am

dan wrote:What does turkey hunting mean to you? and why do you do it? For me, I don't have near the passion in it as I do deer or bear hunting... It started out with a lot of passion. And when my kids were young and turkey hunting was a family affair it was really something I looked forward to. But hunting turkeys alone is not the same as chasing whitetaiös alone... I see some people who really seem to love turkey hunting, some who can take it or leave it, and some like myself who enjoy it at a moderate level. Where you at? I actually prefer run and gun style, even though it usually means less success

Heres a really cool podcast by bear grease (meat eater) on calling with your natural voice. Very cool.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0518711189
Drich

Unread postby Drich » Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 am

For me, turkey hunting is strictly another excuse to get into the woods. I have no cares about 'proper' turkey hunting, or even bagging a bird at all.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 am

I always say I love to turkey hunt but I think the truth is I only love it when it is going exactly how I planned. That sounds kinda dumb but I think it’s true. Also, as much as I love to shoot a big limb hanger there’s no where near the same feeling when I walk up and put my hands on a buck that I just shot with my bow for the first time. However when I can roost birds in the evening, set up within 75 yards before daylight and shoot them right when they hit the ground for a few minutes than man that is hard to beat. That’s when I really enjoy it. I also live to ambush them as well. Aside from those two situations I don’t like to waste to much suspense and I definitely ain’t very patient. I’m a run and gun kinda hunter and very aggressive. I’m definitely a better turkey hunter than deer hunter and I know it’s because of my aggressiveness and that I’m not worried to take a chance. I just can’t seem to find the confidence to do it with deer. Although I definitely improved on deer the last few years. It’s like I save all my patience for archery season and all my confidence for turkey season. I would definitely flip that around if I could help it. I love the anticipation for turkey season but when it’s late may, hot, thick, and mosquitoes everywhere I loss almost any interest of hunting them down.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu May 13, 2021 4:40 am

I’m on the same level with it has bass fishing. I like both when I have the time which hasn’t been much lately.Not has serious has deer hunting that I use most my vacation days on.
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 am

They're delicious.
Naturelives
Facebook: Dan Simon

Unread postby Naturelives » Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 am

For me if turkeys mated in the fall I probably wouldn't deer hunt much. I prefer run and gun. 10 to 15 miles walking in a day is pretty average. Sometimes chasing big bucks I get too frustrated when I make mistakes where with turkeys if I mess up I can easily laugh about it. Love the interaction with birds and that no one seems to care about turkey score or size. I refuse to weigh birds or measure the beard or spurs for that reason. The spring is also my favorite time to be in the woods and most of the time I'm out with friends or family. Disappointed were half way done already. Always flies by
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Thu May 13, 2021 5:39 am

Still haven't been able to get into turkey hunting seriously. The reason why I love turkey season though is that in my state you can hunt hogs with turkey hunting equipment during the season. So really, I am hog hunting and if I happen to stumble into a turkey, it's a bonus. I love hunting in the Spring when you get to see the woods come into life and all the different flora and fauna go into bloom. That is almost as good as the hunting part.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Thu May 13, 2021 6:29 am

greenhorndave wrote:As far as passion, I have a few tags the rest of the season, but I am actually hunting less taking fewer days off this year to bank more vacation for deer. I like it, but as number 2. Like it more than fishing.

My feelings exactly. Its my second year where I’m actually putting in the effort to turkey hunt. It’s fun when the birds wanna talk. But lately I have been finding myself scouting for deer sign when the birds don’t wanna play. Might as well make use of your time in the woods. Not sure if I would ever use vacation on turkey hunting. My wife already gives me crap because I use two weeks of my vacation every Fall.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 am

Deer hunting tends to be boring on most hunts and there are days when you don't see a thing. Turkey hunting while the success rate may not be any different and you often don't see a bird, most days I can usually at least get a bird to gobble and you can try moving and resetting up on them. Far more interactive and it is just a different hunt than what deer hunting is.

I prefer to run and gun hunt when I am hunting properties that have enough room to allow it. One reason I like hunting at our camp with tons of National FOrest where I can walk and hunt all day.

If I had to pick between the 2 I would probably pick deer hunting, but I enjoy the heck out of both.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am

If I had to choose, Its the one Im doing right now or whatever season is open if that makes sense. I absolutely luv hunting alone in Deer or turkey season. Run & Gun is a favorite for Turkey. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”