Turkey season 2022

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Re: Turkey season 2022

Unread postby Forkhorn » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:35 pm

First day in Iowa. Got here at first light this morning and found one roosted. Super windy today so walked the bottoms a little bit. Found some jakes and at last light, roosted a big group of 2 toms and multiple jakes/hens.

Hopefully they play the game in the morning!!

Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:48 pm

Forkhorn wrote:First day in Iowa. Got here at first light this morning and found one roosted. Super windy today so walked the bottoms a little bit. Found some jakes and at last light, roosted a big group of 2 toms and multiple jakes/hens.

Sounds like your on them. Good luck buddy!!
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Forkhorn wrote:First day in Iowa. Got here at first light this morning and found one roosted. Super windy today so walked the bottoms a little bit. Found some jakes and at last light, roosted a big group of 2 toms and multiple jakes/hens.

Back home tonight, hunted till noon today. Cant complain too much for a day and a half of hunting. Cold and wind both days kinda shut the birds down. Had a tom at 40yds twice yesterday but couldn’t get a shot thru. And got within 80yds of a Tom this morning but hens kept him from coming any closer and I ran into the public property line. After 8:00 in the mornings, the birds didn’t talk at all. Still a fun little trip for my first out of state hunt.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:36 am

Forkhorn wrote:

Back home tonight, hunted till noon today. Cant complain too much for a day and a half of hunting. Cold and wind both days kinda shut the birds down. Had a tom at 40yds twice yesterday but couldn’t get a shot thru. And got within 80yds of a Tom this morning but hens kept him from coming any closer and I ran into the public property line. After 8:00 in the mornings, the birds didn’t talk at all. Still a fun little trip for my first out of state hunt.

Sounds like you were on them. Once the Tom's get henned up it can be very very difficult to pull them away. The crazy wind can also make it very difficult for us to hear. The one I just killed was about 40yds from me when he gobbled and it was extremely windy. He may have been gobbling farther away but I couldn't hear him. Hopefully you can still get out for a few more hunts in your state.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:50 am

Got it done yesterday in Zone 2 Wisconsin. Fun hunt had like 20 or so birds fly down right on top of me from the roost.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:05 am

Andr3wxmma wrote:Got it done yesterday in Zone 2 Wisconsin. Fun hunt had like 20 or so birds fly down right on top of me from the roost.

That does sound fun! Congrats :clap:
Andr3wxmma

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:01 am

Moose wrote:Took this bird this morning at 9:50. I didn't hear any gobbles on the roost this morning, that had me a little worried. Anyway at around 630 I saw a tom strutting with 3 hens. Not a single sound from either. Around 7 it got very windy 20+ mph wind, suppose to hit over 45mph this afternoon. Well around 8ish I decided to deer scout, mind you I never heard 1 gobble or a cluck/Yelp all morning, including at roost. Well the wind was getting pretty bad so I decided to go sit where I saw the flock go to in the morning. I was using my box call and pot call to cut the wind. My box call is way louder so I mainly used that to Yelp, cluck and the occasional gobble about every 15 mins or so. I was actually starting to get frustrated. I looked at my phone and no service but all of a sudden I heard a really close gobble. I threw my phone down and got my shotgun ready. I saw a white head bobbing through the trees and all of a sudden I got my first turkey of 2022. Is was only my 2nd day of the season. Don't get discouraged like I was!!20220412_100512_HDR_(1).jpg
Weight - 26lbs
Length - 49 1/2"
Beard - 9"
Spurs - 1"
Snood - 3"

Awesome bird, that's exactly how my Vt bird went last year. Didn't think anything was coming in and was about to pack up and all of a sudden a thunderous gobble behind me. Makes you think about how many times you got up just a few minutes too fast and never knew he was coming in.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 am

Andr3wxmma wrote:
Moose wrote:Took this bird this morning at 9:50. I didn't hear any gobbles on the roost this morning, that had me a little worried. Anyway at around 630 I saw a tom strutting with 3 hens. Not a single sound from either. Around 7 it got very windy 20+ mph wind, suppose to hit over 45mph this afternoon. Well around 8ish I decided to deer scout, mind you I never heard 1 gobble or a cluck/Yelp all morning, including at roost. Well the wind was getting pretty bad so I decided to go sit where I saw the flock go to in the morning. I was using my box call and pot call to cut the wind. My box call is way louder so I mainly used that to Yelp, cluck and the occasional gobble about every 15 mins or so. I was actually starting to get frustrated. I looked at my phone and no service but all of a sudden I heard a really close gobble. I threw my phone down and got my shotgun ready. I saw a white head bobbing through the trees and all of a sudden I got my first turkey of 2022. Is was only my 2nd day of the season. Don't get discouraged like I was!!20220412_100512_HDR_(1).jpg
Weight - 26lbs
Length - 49 1/2"
Beard - 9"
Spurs - 1"
Snood - 3"

Awesome bird, that's exactly how my Vt bird went last year. Didn't think anything was coming in and was about to pack up and all of a sudden a thunderous gobble behind me. Makes you think about how many times you got up just a few minutes too fast and never knew he was coming in.

That's no joke!! It's crazy how fast things can change.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu May 05, 2022 1:53 am

This late season has been kicking my but! Weather has been awful, birds have been hened up and silent. Sit and wait, decoy and run and gun and still nothing! Just a reminder to keep the grind going for anyone else having a difficult season. It will get better!
Andr3wxmma

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Thu May 05, 2022 5:52 am

Moose wrote:This late season has been kicking my but! Weather has been awful, birds have been hened up and silent. Sit and wait, decoy and run and gun and still nothing! Just a reminder to keep the grind going for anyone else having a difficult season. It will get better!

That was my experience down in Indiana, birds were not talking at all. You'd get maybe 1-3 gobbles off the roost in the morning. Finally got it done when we had a cold morning and I went after birds you cant hear from the road in some beast type terrain(tons of pressure where i was at).
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Mon May 09, 2022 4:48 am

Shot a Jake yesterday in Jefferson county WI on public land. That was the 3rd location that day. Shot it at 10:30. Saw 13 birds yesterday and believe it or not, not one gobble. Called these 2 Jake's in from the neighbors private hay field. Plan worked to perfection. 45 yard shot with a 12 gauge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon May 09, 2022 6:06 am

Jess wrote:Shot a Jake yesterday in Jefferson county WI on public land. That was the 3rd location that day. Shot it at 10:30. Saw 13 birds yesterday and believe it or not, not one gobble. Called these 2 Jake's in from the neighbors private hay field. Plan worked to perfection. 45 yard shot with a 12 gauge.

Congrats! Makes it tough when they don't gobble.
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Mon May 09, 2022 11:30 am

Moose wrote:
Jess wrote:Shot a Jake yesterday in Jefferson county WI on public land. That was the 3rd location that day. Shot it at 10:30. Saw 13 birds yesterday and believe it or not, not one gobble. Called these 2 Jake's in from the neighbors private hay field. Plan worked to perfection. 45 yard shot with a 12 gauge.

Congrats! Makes it tough when they don't gobble.

Thanks Moose...I appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”