Another Bird Down

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Another Bird Down

Unread postby funderburk » Sun May 01, 2022 6:55 am

With it being our last day of the 2022 season, I decided to stay aggressive and sneak into a roost hub and get settled an hour or so before daylight. I was surrounded by 4-5 birds gobbling on the limb who eventually made their way into the bottoms, showing no real interest in me. I figured there were hens they were trying to court, so I wanted to wait for a Tom or two to be booted out of that group.

About 45 minutes later, I heard a lone gobble in the bottom, and it was closer. Bingo! I immediately started creeping down my side of the ridge, just out of sight of the Tom in the bottom on the adjacent side. I finally got to a small saddle, crept up to the edge, and let out a few soft yelps. He cut me off loud and clear and I knew he was interested.

I quickly dropped back about 10 yards just below the military crest and set up. 30 seconds later, I heard running footsteps at my 2 o’clock and they were coming towards me. Just then, I saw the top half of his fan as he started strutting. After a few seconds, he folded down and kept coming. As soon as he started to peak over the edge, I was 8 yards away whispering, “Good morning.” :dance:

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Another Bird Down

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 am

Congrats!
Moose
500 Club

Re: Another Bird Down

Unread postby Moose » Sun May 01, 2022 11:50 am

Congrats!
Andr3wxmma