top tip?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: top tip?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 03, 2022 1:25 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Don't waste time hunting turkeys when you could be scouting for big bucks!

:lol: :handgestures-thumbup:

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Don't waste time hunting turkeys when you could be scouting for big bucks!

I'm with seaz..
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:56 pm

:clap:
Ryan
DGF

Unread postby DGF » Wed May 04, 2022 1:42 am

Ack wrote:If possible hit him as soon as he comes into sight.....don't give him time to analyze the situation. In other words, try to set up so you have a shot at the bird as soon as he clears a terrain feature. Example....as soon as he crests a hill, comes around a corner, etc. If he shows up and doesn't see any sign of a hen, many times he will lock up, turn and walk off.

Pretty much my top tip as well. Set up so if he gets close enough to see where the calling is coming from he's in range. I've shot a mess of my turkeys that come in solo and cautiously. I shoot them when their red heads were periscoped above brush trying to spot the hen that was making the ruckus. I have less luck on public land fields and more in obstructed vision areas for this reason. The ones that come in more recklessly are the pairs that are trying to beat the other to the hen.

-Dan
DGF

Unread postby DGF » Wed May 04, 2022 3:55 am

One more quick tip that's served me well:

If a Tom is with a hen and reluctant to leave her cut the hens yelps off with some yelps of your own. I've had this tick off hens and send them in looking for the hen that keeps talking over her. When they show up their boyfriend is right behind them.

-Dan
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed May 04, 2022 6:50 am

Start your day where you can hear a lot. Then, don't chase the first gobble or the closest one. Go after the one that's gobbling his head off from an elevated position... ridge, knob, saddle, etc. That's the lonely one without hens. He's the most killable.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 am

I haven't killed many turkeys! So am far from an expert! But what I see from the successful killers is! They never give up! If things don't work out! Move on and keep trying! Just keep at it!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”