Wild Turkey Leg Delicacy

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeadHeadSpread

Wild Turkey Leg Delicacy

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:23 am

For anyone wanting to get good use out of wild turkey legs, look up Hank Shaw Turkey Carnitas. I read about it somewhere online maybe even this forum a few years ago. It is my favorite wild game dish now. Hard to believe you can make something so great out of those tough ol drumsticks. Takes some work and some time. I Suggest using a crockpot outside or in your garage because its gotta cook all day and the spice smell is pretty strong to have in the house all day.

Big Tracks Matter
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Wild Turkey Leg Delicacy

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:50 am

Great suggestion. Muddy mentioned carnitas in the past, but it's good to know specifics.

Looking forward to trying it!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:54 am

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:02 am

Yep legs are my favorite. Plenty of ways to do them in a crockpot. Sometimes I just do turkey leg pulled bbq.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:22 am

I make enchiladas out the legs. they turn out great
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Mon May 01, 2023 7:46 am

I was fortunate enough to shoot a gobbler on our PA opener yesterday. Those legs are slow cooking in a crockpot in the garage as I type. Mmmmm can’t wait.
Big Tracks Matter
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon May 01, 2023 8:27 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:I was fortunate enough to shoot a gobbler on our PA opener yesterday. Those legs are slow cooking in a crockpot in the garage as I type. Mmmmm can’t wait.

Are you using Hank Shaw’s recipe? I saved the legs to try it. I’ve never had wild Turkey legs before.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Mon May 01, 2023 8:48 am

Elite wrote:
DeadHeadSpread wrote:I was fortunate enough to shoot a gobbler on our PA opener yesterday. Those legs are slow cooking in a crockpot in the garage as I type. Mmmmm can’t wait.

Are you using Hank Shaw’s recipe? I saved the legs to try it. I’ve never had wild Turkey legs before.

Sure am. The only thing I change is I use a big crockpot and cook them all day, vs. he calls for cooking them a few hours on the stove. Doing it on the stove generates a lot of spice smell in the house. Using the crockpot I can cook it in the garage all day and avoid that.
Big Tracks Matter
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon May 01, 2023 10:14 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:
Elite wrote:

Sure am. The only thing I change is I use a big crockpot and cook them all day, vs. he calls for cooking them a few hours on the stove. Doing it on the stove generates a lot of spice smell in the house. Using the crockpot I can cook it in the garage all day and avoid that.

By all day, how many hours, and on what setting (low or high)?
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Mon May 01, 2023 11:51 am

Elite wrote:
DeadHeadSpread wrote:
Elite wrote:

By all day, how many hours, and on what setting (low or high)?

I ran it 5 hours on high then 5-1/2 hours on low. I switched to low because I left for awhile and wouldn’t be able to check on it. The meat was falling right off the bone when I picked it up with tongs. It slid right off the tendons too when I was separating it. Guessing 8 hours or less on high would do it.
Big Tracks Matter
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Thu May 04, 2023 9:39 am

Here’s some pics of how the turkey carnitas turned out and how the meat looks when it’s done.

After finishing with cooking the turkey legs, I used the broth to marinate some shaved venison in the fridge for a few days. Ate the venison tonight and that was tasty also. Not near as good as the turkey carnitas, but it was something different for venison and I got double use out of the ingredients!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”