Quiet Toms...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Quiet Toms...

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 am

I personally like hunts with excitement. I would not enjoy hunts where I just sit and wait till he walks out and shoot him. I enjoy the conversation between bird and hunter. Unfortunately afternoon hunts are usually quiet which can get boring. For me if I can fire up a Tom in the afternoon he's usually going to come right in. Yesterday afternoon after a morning full off gobbles and then henned up birds I went back to the same spot at 2pm setup the double bull and DSD's. At 330 I made some calls after hearing a gobble and 10 mins later a Tom Jake and hen walked right into the decoys and I sent an arrow right over the Tom. He came in quiet but he came in to beat the crap out of the Jake decoy

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Hawthorne wrote:[glow=red]I've shot half my birds them coming in silent[/glow]. I've had my best luck sitting still in one spot for hours. Run and gun might work good in some areas but I've learned to lie in wait is the best. Couldn't tell you how many times I've got impatient and stood up to move and spook off toms that were sneaking in. I've have a 15 acre woodlot that the turkeys come thru almost everyday in spring. Just a matter of patience waiting them out

[ Post made via Android ] Image

That's true for me as well. I think a lot of older birds learn its bad for their health to talk much. Sometimes I move around a lot if its a large area and I don't know where birds will be exactly, scouting as I go, and I will move to get in front of traveling birds, but if I know their travel routes are coming by me I stay put. I have killed a couple really call shy toms just by sitting where I know they will pass eventually and ambushing them without a call, maybe some leaf scratching if anything. My favorite way to get a call shy bird is just set up where he roosts in the afternoon and wait. Turkeys aren't brilliant, just super nervous.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:37 am

bump

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”