Quiet Toms...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

Re: Quiet Toms...

Unread postby yungbuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:05 pm

what calls are you guys using for the fighting purr- diaphrams?

what calls do you use for the hawk screamer- brands etc

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:57 am

yungbuck wrote:what calls are you guys using for the fighting purr- diaphrams?

Knight and hale makes the only Fighting purr I've seen. It's typically 2 push button type calls. They have a newly designed one out now I believe.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:22 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:

Knight and hale makes the only Fighting purr I've seen. It's typically 2 push button type calls. They have a newly designed one out now I believe.

I just Use my mouth call......just make a bunch of purring and cutting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Usually I get the late season on public and the old toms are tight lipped as can be. Just from my years of hunting I have picked up where they roost and its pretty much the same every year. I know where they feed when they come off the roost and I also like to do the run and gun. Calling is really only a locator for me 90 percent of the time, once I get a gobble Im using the lay of the land to move in. If I do call I set up some where deep in the woods where I know most of the other hunters aint going and I just let out enough to let them know im there. Thats usually a putt or purr every 5 minutes.... If the bird comes in hot ill spice it up but if im not getting much back I don't give him much back.... A lot of times ill catch em sneaking in or catch a distant putt and know hes coming. Reading the birds and knowing what to do at the right time is the key but they still make me look dumb ALOT.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

Patience has killed more gobblers than avian pox. Friday we didn't hear a gobble from the time the 6 birds around us flew down to the time we left. Sporadic calling, patience, and a sharp eye are my tools on tight beaked birds.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I'll add that if you have large groups of jakes around it can tend to shush the older birds at times.

Also, many times the dominate bird will be with hens from sunup to sunset....no need for him to gobble
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52 am

Hopefully ill put the steelhead rod down this yr n get out after some toms. Our public land birds n private land birds r 2 totally different animals.. public birds pretty much stopped gobbling about 10 yrs ago around here. They will shock gobble n gooble on the roost but after that they r tight lipped. They get educated before season even starts by guys locating off the roads. .. our private land birds come running to a squeaky wheel n take very little effort. Most hunts end quickly.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:53 pm

oldrank wrote:Hopefully ill put the steelhead rod down this yr n get out after some toms. Our public land birds n private land birds r 2 totally different animals.. public birds pretty much stopped gobbling about 10 yrs ago around here. They will shock gobble n gooble on the roost but after that they r tight lipped. They get educated before season even starts by guys locating off the roads. .. our private land birds come running to a squeaky wheel n take very little effort. Most hunts end quickly.

Priorities Oldrank............Steelhead THEN turks. Plenty of time for both! 8-)
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Haha.. I know Ack.. with last yrs winter I just kept fishing em almost into june.. ill get on the birds this yr.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:04 am

I have had birds double gobble to my calls before flydown only to land and shutup. What many people dont realize is that a big reason birds get henned up so quick in the morning and the hunt is over for the "stationary or ground blind" hunter is because while that bird is still on the limb there are usually hens already on the ground milling around under his tree. All he has to do is pitch down and hes now a happy camper... Finding lone toms roosted or going in extra early and setting up within 75-100 yds from his tree will put you in the game. A tactic that has fired up quiet toms before is to go home, look for another bird or come back a couple hours later when the hens ditch the love struck toms and toms are now freaking out trying to find a hen.. you show up and start agressive cutting and yelping will have him in the back of your truck pretty quickly alot of times
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:51 pm

bump
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sun May 01, 2016 1:38 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:Patience truly is the key. If I had a dollar for everytime I busted a bird because I called, got no response, picked up after 20 minutes or so to move and then busted the bird on his way in, I'd have a pocket full of money!
If I set up somewhere, I will now sit for at the very least an hour. Even longer if I am sure there was a gobbler in the area. More times than not, they move in silent. And they take their sweet time getting there!

This was my 2016 season :). Twice I heard calls from distant Tom's. So I made my way towards them traversing a few ravines and ridges as I went. I went slow and called.

Once I setup from what I percieved to be about 100 yards from the last gobble I waited, waited, and waited... After a couple more calls and no response I decided I was going to move.

Once I started to get up off the ground I caught movement in the woods in front of me. A large Tom hopped up on a log stared me down quick then ran off :)... He was coming right in I just needed to be more patient and keep my eyes open.... Still a fun couple days in the woods :)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun May 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I've shot half my birds them coming in silent. I've had my best luck sitting still in one spot for hours. Run and gun might work good in some areas but I've learned to lie in wait is the best. Couldn't tell you how many times I've got impatient and stood up to move and spook off toms that were sneaking in. I've have a 15 acre woodlot that the turkeys come thru almost everyday in spring. Just a matter of patience waiting them out

Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:12 pm

BigHunt wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:

I just Use my mouth call......just make a bunch of purring and cutting

I just use my glass pot call. If you make your usually purr but in an inverted V pattern it sounds decent. I've had birds respond to this when they don't want to talk.

Joe™
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Depends on the birds and what area I'm hunting. Our west Texas hunting spot has so many birds that Toms just post up on a strutting location for the day and let the girls come to them. I've seen some wear the ground to bare dirt by the end of the breeding season. No calling in a bird like that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”