Wyoming DIY Mule Deer Hunt

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sportsman13

Wyoming DIY Mule Deer Hunt

Unread postby Sportsman13 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:22 am

The old man and I drew our first ever mule deer tags. We drew our 2nd choice which was region R general tag. I was super confident in us getting our 1st choice based on the draw odds, but that didn't pan out. I've been pounding the maps, reading books and just soaking up any information I can. Have any beasts hunted this Region? I have some ideas I would like to get your opinion on. My greatest fear is finally getting my dad out west and not putting him on some deer. I've done a lot of research, would just like to confirm my ideas. Thanks!

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Wyoming DIY Mule Deer Hunt

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 am

I havent hunted in Wyoming but I worked there for a bit. I was around Evanstan and surronding area. I seen a couple of mulies but a ton of pronghorn.
Junkyard

Unread postby Junkyard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 am

Just joined like five minutes ago and saw this post. I hunted that unit last year and could give you some spots to try. Pm me so we don’t get to much cyber pressure lol
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 am

Plan on a couple days of scouting before hunting - find the deer first, then hunt 'em.

Hunted Antelope in 2017 - saw that the deer like to hang out in certain areas... You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Sportsman13

Unread postby Sportsman13 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks for the intel! It's been a lot of fun just cyber scouting different areas. October can't get here soon enough.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:35 am

I found the cyber-scouting to be tough - not knowing mule deer habits.

What you'll notice is that you can see miles in most areas and the deer stand out a bit. If there are any ag fields around, you 'll see the deer in them in big numbers.
Sportsman13

Unread postby Sportsman13 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:02 am

The cyber scouting has been kicking my but. It was such big open country. So I took a step back and forced myself to look at smaller sections. Definitely a fun and challenging experience so far!
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:33 am

Congrats!

I hunt Y, and have a few spots that are right across the border from R. First time, I wouldn't have known where to start looking online either.

Start with this article, in the highcountry section, if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/how-to-find-big-mule-deer-areas-using-google-earth

My best advice, without typing all day, would be to use google earth in 3D mode, and look for the big ridges and or basins first. Then see if there's a vantage point nearby that you could glass from. Be in that spot before light. You want to find the greener areas with pockets of timber on slopes to glass. Deer will come in and out of those, almost for sure.

Here's something in R I would look for, if there was a good place to glass it from:

WY R.JPG

If you want to chat more just let me know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 am

justin84 wrote:Congrats!

I hunt Y, and have a few spots that are right across the border from R. First time, I wouldn't have known where to start looking online either.

Start with this article, in the highcountry section, if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/how-to-find-big-mule-deer-areas-using-google-earth

My best advice, without typing all day, would be to use google earth in 3D mode, and look for the big ridges and or basins first. Then see if there's a vantage point nearby that you could glass from. Be in that spot before light. You want to find the greener areas with pockets of timber on slopes to glass. Deer will come in and out of those, almost for sure.

Here's something in R I would look for, if there was a good place to glass it from:

WY R.JPG

Good info! My b-i-l are looking into buying left over tags “if available”. We’re going to start applying next year in areas C-A & T

Not looking for big trophies, but something respectable and fun adventures. Also hoping to chase a speed goat or two
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:10 am

backstraps wrote:

WY R.JPG

Good info! My b-i-l are looking into buying left over tags “if available”. We’re going to start applying next year in areas C-A & T

Not looking for big trophies, but something respectable and fun adventures. Also hoping to chase a speed goat or two

I'm in! ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
backstraps wrote:

WY R.JPG

I'm in! ;)

We’d have adventures for sure!! :lol:
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 pm

I am very interested to see a report on this trip. I got within forty yards of a giant mulie last year in western Nebraska last year but couldn't close the deal. I still see that thing in my sleep...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Sportsman13

Unread postby Sportsman13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am

WY R.JPG

Thank you! I just read the article you linked to and it was great. Now that I'm starting to hone in on what good areas look like, I'm looking at access. I've taken the entire region and have it narrowed down to 3 units (41,47, 51) each one to me has something good to offer. Give me some more time to dissect these areas and I'll definitely chat some more. The entire process has been fun, another beast member and I chatted too and he was very helpful. Have a great day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”