Why do YOU avoid Wisconsin??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Why do YOU avoid Wisconsin??

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am

To actually answer the question is that I'm also crunched for time. I have 3 kids to get on deer and then myself. Fortunately I'm in a great state and trophy travel time is pretty minimal. My scouting time has shrunk to all time lows and it would be a giant waste of time to go to WI and just throw darts.

My best bet is a hunt swap but barely anyone wants to put in for points and maybe draw a $700 tag 3 years later... even if it is Iowa. By that time I guess we'd be great buddies as I'd have been up there 3 times helping you drag deer out!! :lol:

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

backstraps wrote:Dewey JM I follow yalls live from the stand and you guys would have to be in shape!!!

The hunting part isn’t too bad in the marshes. It’s the drag out that will kill you. At least now we have the option to take deer out in multiple pieces. 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am

Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:Dewey JM I follow yalls live from the stand and you guys would have to be in shape!!!

The hunting part isn’t too bad in the marshes. It’s the drag out that will kill you. At least now we have the option to take deer out in multiple pieces. 8-)

And.... you and Neil are good at marsh deer dragging in case your old buddy backstraps wussed out in the much :lol:
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm

This chapter in my life if I am driving that far I keep the car pointed West until I get into OTC elk tags. Bordering states have good enough whitetail hunting for me. I'm just trying to have a good time I don't need "the best"
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Lu Rome wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
record books, like telemetry don't lie - they are unbiased. but they may not paint the total picture either.

I think you can argue that the record books are very biased based on the number of deer harvested. States that harvest drastically more deer are going to kill more book bucks. The real tell is the number of book bucks per total bucks killed. Crunch that number and the picture changes drastically. I did that a while back, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

And for what it's worth, if you look at the QDMA report of age structure of the buck harvest, Wisconsin has it anything but easy when it comes to mature bucks.

I always wonder what this data is based on. I've hunted WI my entire life and never have been asked or had recorded the age of any buck shot. I think record books tell a pretty good picture.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm

backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:

And.... you and Neil are good at marsh deer dragging in case your old buddy backstraps wussed out in the much :lol:

Next buck I get Neil will have to drag me and my deer back out. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:

One or the other....not both :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Better let me out there. My wife has to eat. She will appreciate the venison.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 pm

MagicMan!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I only live down the road guys :D

Anytime!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:46 pm

tgreeno wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I only live down the road guys :D

Anytime!

Famous last words :lol:

I've got to kill one first....that's always the hard part.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 pm

I think the reason more out of state hunters don’t go to Wisconsin is pressure. If you are going on an out of state hunt, you are either doing 2 things;
1. hunting a neighboring state that has different options.
2. going on a Midwest trophy hunt.
Kansas and Iowa draw most of the attention for the trophy stuff. Illinois used to be held in higher regard but all those states have way less hunters. Being in lower Michigan I would probably try to hunt Illinois or Ohio before Wisconsin, closer and less pressure. I already hunt Indiana which is kinda a sleeper state in my opinion.

I hunted public in Wisconsin 1 year, and have hunted Michigan all my life. Wisconsin has a lot of pressure. The reason why it puts so many bucks in the books is the soil, not because the deer are un-pressured and can grow to maturity.
Lu Rome

Unread postby Lu Rome » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm

purebowhunting wrote:
Lu Rome wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:
record books, like telemetry don't lie - they are unbiased. but they may not paint the total picture either.

I think you can argue that the record books are very biased based on the number of deer harvested. States that harvest drastically more deer are going to kill more book bucks. The real tell is the number of book bucks per total bucks killed. Crunch that number and the picture changes drastically. I did that a while back, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

And for what it's worth, if you look at the QDMA report of age structure of the buck harvest, Wisconsin has it anything but easy when it comes to mature bucks.

I always wonder what this data is based on. I've hunted WI my entire life and never have been asked or had recorded the age of any buck shot. I think record books tell a pretty good picture.

It was my understanding that they age deer at check stations during the firearm season. Never hinted there so I don’t know. Your DNR can get a pretty good picture of the age structure with just a sample of the hunters. Statistically it works out pretty good so they don’t have to sample all the hunters.

The books only tell part of the picture. If you have more deer habitat and deer, you’ll naturally produce more big bucks. I wish I could find what I had showing the BC vs harvest. It basically shows your odds of killing a BC buck which IMO is more representative than just raw total numbers.
“Curiosity never killed the cat. The cat died from stupidity, or maybe an overdose of mice.” -The Old Man
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm

One of these years I will make it to Wisconsin. The only reason I havent yet is waiting for a year that me and my wife have both filled our home state tags before the Wiscy rifle season. When that happens I'm 1.5 hours from Prarie Du Chien so I will be making multiple trips.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Too many packers fans.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”