Beware Squirrels.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Beware Squirrels.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Sept 15th 2019 the squirrel season opens, squirrels have made cause to have a vendetta against them.

Sept 15th 2018.
Walk back along the creek to a hill top take a seat againest a big pine tree and cradle the Rugar 77 22 hornet (NO SCALPERS WILL RIP ME OFF FOR 11 TO 15 CENTS A PIECE 22LR AMMO.)in my shooting sticks as I wait for things to settle down.
Doesn't take long for the squirrels to start to collect the acorns that cover the ground, then one decides to take a seat on a log near the creek edge to sample one of the acrons it had collected.

The Rugar is raised to the shoulder and the cross hairs settle on the squirrels noggin, a slight squeeze of the trigger and the Ruger gives a gental push to the shoulder as the 55 grain Serria at 1600FPS removes the squirrels head.

One nice red phase squirrel down and 4 to go. No sooner eject the empty cartridge and insert another when a second squirrel jumps up on the same log to donate its body to a Bacon wrapped baked squirrel dish.

The 5 squirrel limit is filled in less than 45 minutes from one single stand. Is a good year for squirrels population in this area. Acron crop is good and falling, Hickory nuts are heavy in the trees and falling, Then later in the fall the corn field just across the fence will provide a mess of ear corn for the squirrels.

Just walking the dog thru the woods two days before the season I counted 18 squirrels standing on tree limbs cussing the dog and myself out for interruppting their harvesting.

A friend said I was crazy going out to shoot a mess of nasty squirrels. Their hide is so tough you can hardly cut it with a knife. I told him he was the crazy one missing out on some very fine eatting like the fore mentioned bacon wrapped baked squirrels, squirrel gravey and biscuits. and a stew with plenty of squirrel meat and veggies.

I told him if he could not afford a decent knife that would hold an edge get some hooked carpet blades for his utilty knife and that works great for the 1 minute squirrel skinning method, and 3 minutes to get rid of the skins and inwards.

Can't wait.

:D. Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Beware Squirrels.

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:41 am

You are making me hungry, dang it !!

Squirrels are taking over the world- look out your window... still feel as safe as you did before you looked?? :lol:
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 am

:clap: I hope to kill a few myself this year
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Ya I still feel as safe. I have the guns they don't.

If you can't get a few,
(1. there are no squirrels where you hunt for them.
(2. ypu don't have a clue how to sit still for a half hour.

:D Al
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm thinking about going after a few bushy tails in the morning myself. Season here in AR runs from may until February, limit of 12 a day. I usually wait and only do my squirrel hunting from august to February though, not a big fan of the heat! On another forum I go to we have friendly squirrel contests throughout the year, couple guys have been hunting all summer and are approaching 100 squirrel totals! Squirrel hunting is a great way to scout deer spots and get some good food a long the way. When the hickory nuts get ripe you can kill your limit of 12 super quick on a hot tree.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Squirrels are safe for 6 more days in this area. Went and checked out my deer blinds and the squirrels had eatten away a big hole in one under the door they had eatten a hole into and I had covered with some metal.

:D Al

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”