One Afternoon Hunt; How Far?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crankn101
500 Club

One Afternoon Hunt; How Far?

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:09 am

How far do you guys travel for a one afternoon hang and hunt?

Say you leave on a Saturday at noon and have to be back that night or even a quick hunt after work.

Moose
500 Club

Re: One Afternoon Hunt; How Far?

Unread postby Moose » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:17 am

If I had to leave at noon and be home that night I would say 2 hours. Once we turn the clocks back that's not giving you much time.
nsmith253

Unread postby nsmith253 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:37 am

With my schedule, about 90 minutes each way is where I would draw the line.
Nate
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am

I used to do 2.5 hours for an afternoon hunt. I wouldn’t do it anymore. Gas is too pricey and time is too valuable.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Interested to see what some of the responses are. For me I probably stay pretty close to home and should probably start widening my search area. Pretty much all of my stuff is within 30 minutes from my house. One property may he pushing 40 minutes but I hunt a couple that are more like 10 minutes too
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm

90 minutes for me. I live close to a major city so there’s benefit to me taking a bit of a ride, but that’s about my limit for a day trip. It gets to be a long night if I have a mile plus walk out in the dark and then that much of a drive home.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 pm

90 minutes max for a single hunt. Anything farther than 90 minutes, I better be getting a few hunts in.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:06 pm

If I'm getting home after work it's gotta be within a twenty minute ride. I do construction and like to find spots to hunt close to work so can just go immediately after. Even on a Saturday I don't typically travel to far. Farthest was about a 50 min ride. Have a lot of options within an hour drive of my house.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Kind of depends. Where you live, where the nearest hunting spot is (public/private). Distance and time required for access (hiking in). Weather. Driving conditions and forecast for the drive there and back.

Also have personal matters to consider: work schedule for the following day, family responsibilities (getting kids to their activities), and number of days I can get out that week or month.

The max distance I go for a one evening hang and hunt is 1:45 drive each way. Not ideal, but kind of have to do that in order to get away from the pressure. And, I like to think those spots are worth it. I have some that are a shorter drive 0:30 but they are sometimes a crapshoot and less consistent. Sometimes that plays into it too - the quality of the spot and confidence I have for a particular area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 pm

It depends on the area I'm hunting. Some spots I need to be setup hours before closing time. Others the best time to hunt it is that last hour before closing. It also depends on what point of the season I'm in. With that in mind I pick and choose my spots based on the time I have. I would rather not hunt then screw an area up trying to rush it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 pm

For me not very far. Can’t really answer the question honestly cause I have a lot of options around the house. If I didn’t lord knows how far I would go.

Will say if your luck is anything like mine you will kill something. Seems every time I have something important to do or some place I gotta be at a certain time. I always kill something or find the fish piled up like maggots right when I gotta head home.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Have multiple spots that I travel 60 minutes one way to get to. Everything else is usually 30-45 minutes.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:33 am

Weekends, most of my spots are 30-45 but I have a few I'll drive 60-90 for a day hunt but that's rare. Truthfully a lot of my better big bucks spots are farther as I get away from pressure into more rural and remote areas, but it gets to be a grind driving that far. Hunting is supposed to be fun.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:53 am

2 hrs...its getting costly with the price of gas, trying to pick my battles wisely these days
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:04 am

Thanks for the responses.

It seems we are all mostly on the same page.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”