Over thinking coyotes... probably

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Birddog00

Over thinking coyotes... probably

Unread postby Birddog00 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:18 am

I just had a random idea, not sure if we could change coyotes behavior like this or not, but ill explain.... for the last 20yrs or so I've ran coyotes on foot, essentially pushing them in the winter with a group of guys. We have become pretty good at it and would always kill between 18 and 30 coyotes just on a few Saturdays in the winter in a relatively small area, about 10 sq miles would be my guess. Well the past few years it has slowed down a lot. And this year we only killed one. Now granted we didn't have good snow on numerous weekends, but on decent weekend we could not even find one track crossing the roads. My buddies have been getting numerous coyotes on trail cam in the same area, but we never had luck getting fresh tracks, or they would relocate and we couldnt catch back up to them. Hear is a theory that popped into my head. Could we be changing the behavior of a population of coyotes, killing the travelers, and saving the ones that stay put or don't leave sections very often. Then could they be either teaching there young that way to stay alive or having that type of gene breed into them. I just found it hard to believe we could literally not come up with tracks this winter. But yet now there is coyotes all over trail camera..... just :think: :think:

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Over thinking coyotes... probably

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:58 am

They adapt extremely well.
Even with the cities ,suburbs they adapt to change.

Wish you would come kill some at the wmas I hunt they are all over my cams but I rarely see them in the woods. I killed one the year before last with a bow.

I do wonder why the states aren't going in with nightvision and reducing the population of coyotes.

At least your trying to help the wildlife in your area by reducing the predators :clap: .
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:30 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:They adapt extremely well.

Wish you would come kill some at the wmas I hunt they are all over my cams but I rarely see them in the woods. I killed one the year before last with a bow.

I do wonder why the states aren't going in with nightvision and reducing the population of coyotes.

At least your trying to help the wildlife in your area by reducing the predators :clap: .

Because that would help the deer population, and they don’t want to do that when they lie in bed with the insurance companies.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:07 pm

I live in SE WIs. and have not had a coyote or fox on the cam for several months. One clue is I saw a fox with mange and just maybe a lot of them died. However, that does not explain why they are still on the cam. I am happy to not see them though, not even a track in the snow.
PoppaOtt84

Unread postby PoppaOtt84 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:25 am

Because that would help the deer population, and they don’t want to do that when they lie in bed with the insurance companies.

Exactly!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:36 am

I don’t hunt coyotes but I think it’s very probable they have adapted to your methods.

Hopefully you can try some new methods on the same grounds. or the same methods on new ground.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:37 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:They adapt extremely well.

I killed 2 this year. I don’t pass them if I can get a make able shot.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”