wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Favorite bass lure

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon May 08, 2023 12:28 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Swamp Stache wrote:Tough to beat a top water for the excitement factor, although I rip the lure away to early most the times they hit it.

I agree, I love top water action! One of my favorites is to use a frog or crayfish lure around Lily pad's! That's sudden burst on the surface is some of the best bass fishing there is in my opinion.

If I'm in the river, Texas rigged senkos. Look for where still pockets meet moving water.

Did you fish the banana dikes when you lived in Monroe?
Never heard of them, where are they located?
No, I spent my time on River Raisin, and down in the lagoons off of Lake Erie down by the Ohio border. All in my kayak.

The back side of pointe moulee. They are shaped like a banana. I ride a bike back there it’s two miles

Lol, absolutely, I get you now! Never heard them called that! Must have been a down river thing! ;)
I couldn't access that with a yak. I've been in Lake Erie enough on sound vessels to know thers no way I would ever take a kayak on it! There are news stories about those guys!

But if you ever want to hit up RR, hit me up. I'll let you know what I know. There's some slob large and small in that river.. got both my pb's on it (not saying much..)
Got to have a yak..
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon May 08, 2023 4:55 pm

My absolute favorite all time Bass lure for probably the last 30+ years is a Jitterbug.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon May 08, 2023 4:56 pm

double post
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue May 09, 2023 2:05 am

wolverinebuckman wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Swamp Stache wrote:Tough to beat a top water for the excitement factor, although I rip the lure away to early most the times they hit it.

I agree, I love top water action! One of my favorites is to use a frog or crayfish lure around Lily pad's! That's sudden burst on the surface is some of the best bass fishing there is in my opinion.

If I'm in the river, Texas rigged senkos. Look for where still pockets meet moving water.

No, I spent my time on River Raisin, and down in the lagoons off of Lake Erie down by the Ohio border. All in my kayak.

The back side of pointe moulee. They are shaped like a banana. I ride a bike back there it’s two miles

Lol, absolutely, I get you now! Never heard them called that! Must have been a down river thing! ;)
I couldn't access that with a yak. I've been in Lake Erie enough on sound vessels to know thers no way I would ever take a kayak on it! There are news stories about those guys!

But if you ever want to hit up RR, hit me up. I'll let you know what I know. There's some slob large and small in that river.. got both my pb's on it (not saying much..)
Got to have a yak..

Yes, a couple years ago someone drowned trying to take a yak out there. I might take you up on the advice for the RR. I haven’t fished it. I heard it’s a good smallmouth fishery. I’m thinking about buying an inflatable kayak for fishing
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:

Got to have a yak..

Yes, a couple years ago someone drowned trying to take a yak out there. I might take you up on the advice for the RR. I haven’t fished it. I heard it’s a good smallmouth fishery. I’m thinking about buying an inflatable kayak for fishing

Yeah man, DM me about the river. I'll fill you in on the spots and how I hit them. Great bass fights! Even one with with a small ( 16") northern pike!
My recommendation on a kayak… I would go with a solid one over an inflatable. Get you a kayak rack for the top of your vehicle.
I got a Dunham's wide basic fishing yak for a couple hundred many years back..all plastic. Super stable.
I had a hole in that puppy from dragging it to one of the RR access sites I hit. My son used some fiberglass tape to patch that bad boy up, and it's made two Buck Creek runs now down here in Kentucky(way more serious than the River Raisin!! :lol:) and is ready for me to get out this year! But that's just my opinion.
I don't know that you could do that with an inflatable.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu May 11, 2023 1:40 pm

Rebel frog. The old style was killer but the new one is too. They fish a little different. Rebel crayfish. K&E bass stopper. I will limit with that combo in my box.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Thu May 11, 2023 1:54 pm

Jigs. My fav for anything.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun May 21, 2023 10:23 am

When I moved to Michigan 33 years ago I liked spinner baits, lots of different ones. Now pretty much all I fish largemouth bass with is rubber worm texas rig, sometimes I'll peg the sinker, is that what they call Carolina. Haven't kept up with the times and done much wacky, or drop shot and all that other fancy stuff. Smallies, which is my favorite fish to chase, I will use more tubes, but like spinners and rattletraps for them as well when they are active.

Got a couple really good largemouths recently messing around for crappie on a jig, and one was on a little cleo small spoon. Sometimes I troll the edge for suspended crappie with the little cleo and wrecked a huge bass a couple weeks back, I think that thing was pushing 6lbs.

What? I got really big hands

For real now here is the bigun. Guessing it at 22", angle is funny, but my 12" boot is at end of tail.

This one hit a 1/8 oz jig, guessing about 18" and 3 3/4, maybe 4lbs
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon May 22, 2023 7:58 am

I love punching for big bass
IMG_5656.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon May 22, 2023 9:56 am

Texas rigged plastics will always be top of the list. Chatterbaits have been good to me also, especially in the spring time. Weedless top water frogs are a blast but the percentage of actually landing the fish goes down quite a bit compared to other baits.
Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue May 23, 2023 5:25 pm

Jake33 wrote:Favorite: whopper plopper
Most success: Texas Rigged plastic worm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed May 24, 2023 9:22 am

Night fishing with Jitterbug
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jake33

Unread postby Jake33 » Wed May 24, 2023 10:18 am

Rich3006 wrote:
Jake33 wrote:Favorite: whopper plopper
Most success: Texas Rigged plastic worm

:clap: :clap: 8-)
...you go up that ridge, I'll go down in the swamp.... We'll get that buck.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:18 pm

My Favs:

For largemouth

spinnerbait
rubber worm - partial to watermellon, red, motor oil type colors
Zara Spook puppy
tiny torpedo
jitterbug
Rapala floater & countdown

If I had to choose just one it would be a tossup between spinnerbait & rubber worm. If i wanted to cover a lot of water or if wanted to take it slow and easy.

For smallmouth

Jig w grub or twister tail - bottom bouncing
deep diving lure - Rapala
Little George
Rapala floater

Have had some big fish on that lil george lure. Best fishing is just drifting a bare nightcrawler across a rocky shoal during May. Biggest one I ever seen was dad's at 24 inches caught on a deep diving Rapala, he likes to bounce it along the bottom.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”